Markaudio: has anyone designed something like this?

Hy folks,this is my recent diy fast speaker build.The first version was with pluvia 7.2 hd as midtweet from 400hz -20khz in separate 4 lit volumen ,and the second version is with chn50 from 600hz-20 khz...and i preferred the second one because chn50 rendenered high freq much better.
Dayton rs180-8 woofer is tuned at 40hz in 19 lit br box ,and its great woofer for fast type speakers.

IMG_20230904_130247.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230608_121628.jpg
    IMG_20230608_121628.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Tysen’s sidefiring drivers cross at 450 Hz which is higher than i expected possible. It is th erhighest we have crossed a WAW. 250 Hz is a more common target.

By voicing I assume you mean similar cone materials?

Not necessarily. For instance the paper cone A12pWeN in the MTM i posted above matches very well with the metal cone A7.3eN. Do keep in mind that much of the character of a midWoofer is highe rup in frequency than when using them in a WAW.

The A12pw match a tiny but better than the more exotic composition of the SDX7 we used in my favourite WAW (comes down to the shape in my room). Sadly another really good midBass MIA.

Ellipsa-1st-veneered.jpg

dave

Reactions: 1 users
Hy folks,this is my recent diy fast speaker build.The first version was with pluvia 7.2 hd as midtweet from 400hz -20khz in separate 4 lit volumen ,and the second version is with chn50 from 600hz-20 khz...and i preferred the second one because chn50 rendenered high freq much better.
Dayton rs180-8 woofer is tuned at 40hz in 19 lit br box ,and its great woofer for fast type speakers.

View attachment 1254149
Nice looking speakers. Have you published the design?

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks Trevor,i didnt publish anything because its still in development and iam using dsp software(EKIO) instead of passive,its easier to change cutoff freq,bsc and etc....and i recently bought sb acoustics sb65wbac25-4 drivers,and i havent test them yet.

IMG_20231107_143532.jpg

I had the pleasure of hearing the CHP-90 for a FR project, and they are awesome. There seems to be something about the paper cone that makes them a bit different from the CHN-50 and Alpair 5 that I also have. Size and bass response not withstanding. The bass response in a 14L sealed enclosure is not for everyone.

If I made a new 2-way, I'd look at the CHN-50P or Pluvia 7PHD as possible smaller options.

Thanks but the design wastes the CHR-120's bandwidth. I had in mind a cheap woofer. I'll look at the other suggestions!
Well I posted it because Scott's design is a simple but elegant use of all MA drivers, and using the CHR-120 as a woofer in the absence of the now OOP 12WP. As this is DIY, we're free to "waste" all the bandwidth we like. :) I understand you want to use a cheap woofer. There should be a few to choose from depending on the enclosure you want to build.

jeff

Last edited:
It would be prudent to develop a WAW system featuring easily accessible and affordable drivers, adopting a design that resonates universally, much like the widely popular Frugel-horn of the past decade.

While the selection of a single driver for Full Range configurations is relatively straightforward, exemplified by options like the Pensil or FH, the absence of a comparable all-encompassing solution poses a distinctive challenge in the case of WAW systems.

(Nanotyrannus is a fantastic concept, but the 12PW is challenging to locate and somewhat pricey, considering alternatives, Dayton RS woofers would be a commendable choice!)

Gus

Reactions: 1 user
Audiomovil, I couldn't agree more. As this will be my first build in 45 years I'm now veering away from a custom WAW due to complexity & towards the CHR-120 & a stand mount bass reflex design. My only customization will be bracing & stuffing!
In the mean time I've been experimenting with XO changes with the problem speaker mentioned above, using only SPICE & my hearing, it's a challenge!!
My speaker building experience is: Paraline using Richard Allan FR drivers in 1973, Tabor (a Malcolm Jones HiFiN&RR design) using Audax drivers in 1978 (still in use today). I was spoilt by the Tabor, from then (when I got the 'itch') I only considered commercial speakers with demonstrably better sound than the Tabor, such as: Snell, Paradigm & most recently Elac.
Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Could you point me to examples using MA (or a combination of) drivers?
I've enjoyed my open baffles for about a year now. Sometimes the brass comes out to allow a short circuit to knock down their dipole hump, but at the 55db or so average levels I listen at, they are pretty well behaved, after foam on the front and behind each driver damping midrange baffle reflections and rear radiation to the rear.
I found the best bass integration for me was with also open baffle.
After a long time, I decided I prefer everything but the upper treble with no toe in with these.
Out of my tweeter backups, I chose some planar sealed tweeters, and leave them in independent housings and aim them if I'm on or off axis with one or both speakers.
They are first order filtered around 20Khz, and hearing them like this, it seems the natural treble off axis rolloff of the 12P combines very well with the limited vertically oriented tweeter dispersion, without adding a crossover into the signal path.
I'm awaiting the outcries to toe them in and use a mini dsp.

20240103_190940.jpg

Reactions: 2 users