Markaudio CHN-110

Hello. I'm about to build a speaker with Markaudio CHN110-Silver.
I see plans supplied by the manufacturer.
My question is if it is necessary to add a circuit for baffle step compensation, or does the bass compensation depend on the volume size of the box?

Attachments

• CHN110-box3.gif
    CHN110-box3.gif
    61.5 KB · Views: 93
Hello again. I still have the idea of building some speakers with Markaudio CHN-110.
I have doubts about whether to do St Helens, Kewel or DDVP-15.
I would like good bass extension but without sacrificing clarity in the mids and highs.
Greetings and thanks.

Attachments

• CHN110-St-Helens-top-firing-vented-box.png
    CHN110-St-Helens-top-firing-vented-box.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Kewel-CHN110-compact-MLTL.png
    Kewel-CHN110-compact-MLTL.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DDVP-15.pdf
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
CHN-110 is a killer driver. Performs very well. Performs at an amazing level for its price.

I heard it in Frugel-Horn XL, Scott’’s sim suggested iJoan will get a bit more out of it. There is a Pensil as well. All of these designed by the same Scott that did the 3 sketches you have shown.

Nandape’s ML-Voigt is unknown to me but Scott has done 2 with the same topology for the FE108eΩ/FF105wk and FF165wk. They can work well.

The taller ML-TL like Kewel will be tuned more for bass extention, something like the Pensil motr for a solid mid-upper bass punch. FHs use the wall/floor or corner to ectend the horn size and does a REALLY good job at extention and gain in the bass.

I’m not sure exacty how the topvented ML-TL works, perhaps Professor Scott (@scootmoose) can give us a short lecture.

A basik reflex as in the opening post is small needs a stand and won’t go as low, and likely not with as much control as the quarter-wave designs. My miniOnkens work to get a bit more controlin the bass at the expense of exsention.

Do note that one can do a transform that does a decent first pass on a related ML-Voigt so they should be considered as much the same with a variety of bass performance depending on tape, size, and tuning,

Son’t forget compromises such as budget (a big box will eat up more material), WAF, transportability, your room…

dave

Dave, thank you very much for responding. I have some Bowers & Wilkins DM602 S1 but I was curious about building some fullrange speakers and I have seen several forums and videos about Markaudio drivers.
As a test I chose the CHN 110 because of the cost, but I was unsure which box to build. I don't know the theory of speaker construction, that's why I turn to you. I don't think I'll ever build something very complicated. but looking at the plans I will do something.
I see that the St Helens, with a superior port, goes down to f6 28Hz, I hope it is not at the cost of sacrificing clarity in the mids and highs.
Greetings, Jose.