markaudio Alpair 12P in superpensil -- advice needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
^ DEWALT 3/8 in. (10mm) VSR Right Angle Drill-DW160V at The Home Depot or JobMax 3-AMP Right Angle Drill-R285002 at The Home Depot

- with some luck and a small hole saw arbor one of them will fit, you'll have to look at the various hole saws etc., the pro series hole saw kit looks pretty shallow.

What's worse about that center brace is i don't see a cutout for the driver itself!

Your carpenter screwed up, little wonder why he's not returning calls! Gonna take some creative thinking and use of tools to fix or remove that bracing. I like a challenge, you anywhere near Philly?

- Also the driver cutout should not only be recessed on the front of the baffle for the driver to sit flush, but the cutout at the inside of the baffle should be done at a 45º angle to give the cone room to breathe so to speak. You're gonna need some crazy inverted 45º router bit to fix that.

More i think about it, just remove that center brace...maybe this will do it -
Rotozip 7-Amp 4 in. Zip Saw-RFS1000-20 at The Home Depot or this Bosch 120-Volt 5/8 in. Power Fine Cut Saw-1640VS at The Home Depot

I hate to say it, but it doesn't look like a good quality multi layer ply like baltic birch was used in the construction. Perhaps cut your losses and start again :\

kp93300,

It's unfortunate that your carpenter made this blunder...

See what you can do. With the right tools and approach it might be possible to remove the center vertical brace. Won't be easy though.

Be carefull with power tools!
…not to add insult to injury but you can say that again!
Zia, it's not just the center brace, the side brace with holes is wrong too. Looks to be attached flat with the baffle or parallel with and within a inch of the baffle.

A clearer view of the blunder !!

Attachments

• back view brace.JPG
    back view brace.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 390
"BLUNDER" would be a very polite description of the issue here - I'd hate to be the first to say this, but having built & "rebuilt" more than a couple of pairs of enclosures myself, I'd be inclined to cut my losses and start with an entirely new cabinetmaker. If it's not someone familiar with speaker enclosures, make sure they have opportunity to see photos or 3D models of exactly what's expected.

Back in action ! what internal cabling ?

I manage to have the box repaired by the carpenter at no cost to me:D

I understand that many folks use cAT5 cable for internal cabling.

Is this a single solid core as positive and negative ?

Attachments

• IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1310.JPG
    770.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1313.JPG
    IMG_1313.JPG
    669.9 KB · Views: 236
how to adjust the amount of polyfill

Just completed the speaker and testing. The speakers had been run in with low volume radio music for the past few weeks.

I have too much bass and vocal sound recessed. Music seems enclosed within the speaker.

Is this the problem of too much polyfill?

Would appreciate a picture of the speaker inside from a successful builder.

regards

kp93300

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    741.1 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_1319.JPG
    IMG_1319.JPG
    743.6 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1314.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG
    633.5 KB · Views: 340
I can share my experience of having recently completed the regular 12P pensils (not the superpensils). I ended up using less than the minimum of the recommend range of stuffing, but don't know whether my results would sound good to you.

You may want to try yanking some out and really fluffing up what remains and see what happens. Your speakers look great by the way.

Mario

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have too much bass and vocal sound recessed. Music seems enclosed within the speaker.

Is this the problem of too much polyfill?

Not enuff polyfill. Or not nearly enuff teasing of the polyfill. Needs to be well teased. Or not enuff breakin. The time on the radio only gets you by the worst of the breakin. Or all 3.

390402d1388333096-markaudio-12p-superpensil-advice-needed-img_1315.jpg

Polyfill needs to be teased!

dave

As a follow up, i noted that too much polyfill results in less bass and the mid and high seems to be more exposed. Maybe the air flow through the front port is impaired.

There is an element of trial and error in this .

I suggest that potential builders take this into account when building the cabinet

intermittent distortion up of sound from 12P

Hello ,
Over the last few months, I notice that there is an intermittent crack up of sound from one channel only. It is not related to loud tracks and affect the mid frequency only. Some note of violin, piano has a distortion .
I have tried several class d amp from TPA 3116 and seems to constant.
i have swap the channel and problem still there.
I have gently push the cone and donot notice voice coil rubbing sound against the magnet.
Any suggestions in troubleshooting ???
cheers
kp93300

also worth looking at for those folks using a single conductor of say, CAT5 #24 wire per pole, is that wire knicked by strippers can eventually break, simply by the action of installing drivers after soldering , or moving the enclosure around, and setting them down

learned that the hard way,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.