Markaudio Alpair 11ms simple tweak (and other metal cone MarkAudio?)

There is hearable cone breakup in with the Alpair 10.3, but it's mainly an issue when you listen very close on axis to it and it's easy to fix with an LRC filter (or dsp) if you want it. I heared the enabled version, and it also fix it largely, but i'm a bit clumsy on this kind of stuff, so i did not try it myself. It's easier to solder an LRC filter for it for me for my desk speakers in my office.

In my other setup, that is a waw that where i listen from a few meters distance, this is even not needed as the interaction with the room smooth that out. I use that setup now with a dsp, but did little eq on the top section, i mainly focussed to fix the bloated bass response due to the room. But in a former version with passive eq, i also used very little filtering on top.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I heared the enabled version, and it also fix it largely, but i'm a bit clumsy on this kind of stuff, so i did not try it myself. It's easier to solder an LRC

Eyesight wiped out my ability to EnABL, so the simplier tweak. Fix at the source not a bandaid after.

I’d love to have you try it and see what needs changes in your LCR.

dave

the filter i use in my office speakers with this driver is in this plan i made for it attached. It's based on this speaker, and tinkering may be needed for other designs:

1709059819248.png
20200721-DSC_0115e.jpg

Attachments

• Mark-Audio-Alpair-10M-Slot-Ported-Official-CAD-drawings.pdf
    121 KB · Views: 43
I have excellent credit on PP.... Um, does really need to be alcohol? Doc says that I should stay away from it and should just use large doses of what he hands me.

And, sorry for asking (again) what is the model of those stand mounted speakers with the side ports? I keep complaining about not getting to make them before I die. Maybe it is high time.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
is there anyone still mastering the EnABL?

Not yet, but i am encouraging and will help anyone to get up to speed.

It is something I would really like to learn, but there's no-one who can teach in person how to do it.

No need for in-person trainer.

It is pretty straight forward, just requires decent hand-eye cooordination and some practise.

You will get help learning.

dave

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
what is the model of those stand mounted speakers with the side ports?

There are many of them (100s likely). They typically have something-Ken, with a prefix specifying size, and the suffix the driver and the style. R for rectangualr (some older ones named before there had to be a distinction), and T for trapezoid. No direct info in the name for larger thsn prime size (13 litres), except the use of T and TT. Trapezoid and Tall Trapezoid.

example. µFonkenSET, µMar-KenSET. Same box with different details for the Fostex (Fonken) and Markaudio (Mar-Ken). Some of the MA ones have names driving down to ther models, Plu-Ken (Pluvia, allusion to Frank Zappa), CHR-Ken (Kraken), Mar-Kel (EL70, Superman’s Krypton name).

Those 2 brands dominate but TAD-Kens, Tan-Kens, Low-Kens, Axi-Ken are more examples.

Little did Chris (or myself) knew at the time where coining the name Fonken would take us.

dave

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user