Mark Fenlon's New CHP-70 (note the "P")

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave, toobhed, or anyone having listened to the CHP-70 gen2 (or should I say 70.3?? ;-) ),

Can you give an opinion on the "roll-off". I like it from the way Mark describes it in the product information. But the proof is in the listening. So is it adding a nice warmth to vocals, or does it feel as if something is missing? From my previous two-way design I find it can be a bit of a struggle to get well balanced highs...

Regards, Jaap

Dave, toobhed, or anyone having listened to the CHP-70 gen2 (or should I say 70.3?? ;-) ),

Can you give an opinion on the "roll-off". I like it from the way Mark describes it in the product information. But the proof is in the listening. So is it adding a nice warmth to vocals, or does it feel as if something is missing? From my previous two-way design I find it can be a bit of a struggle to get well balanced highs...

Regards, Jaap

I'll venture into the minefield - for my taste the latter, particularly when compared to Mark's other paper drivers in approx same size range - i.e. EL70 and Alpair6P (which of course are 150% the price of the CHP70)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We built up a traveling roadshow (milliSized EL70 & CHP70.3 boxes) to allow people to compare in there homes... somewhere Kyleincowichan has posted his feelings. Bernie has them now.

My personal take is that the shelving down of the top 2 octaves by about 5dB is taking away from the harmonics of the music, particularily notable in a loss of important information in female vocals. Probably not enuff to stand out without a direct comparison, and even so, not disqualifying the new CHP as being a fine driver, our 1st listen in microTower was quite satisfying, but we will be playing with tweeters on the empty faces of the box (like the original microTower II, and something we had planned on trying, but with CHP better tailored to this kind of experiment than when we had CHR70.3 in them). Alpair 6p does better in the milliSize box too, even down to having better bass (but that is likely down to the A6 being housed in something closer to the volume it is happiest in)

If you were trying to complement a system with a hard top-end the new CHP would have an edge.

EL70 is available, i believe, from at least 2 vendors in NL.

dave

Hi Chris, Dave,

Found it: CSS-EL70 CHP-70 comparison
What I read from this is that by itself you wouldn't notice something is "missing". Only really to be heard in a direct comparison. Since the project I have in mind is something easy sounding for in the bedroom, I think I will give the CHP-70 gen2 a go. And since speakerbuilding is a hobby, I will keep the EL70 in mind as a candidate for a next build. (Or if I really can't live with FR, I can always stick a tweeter with the CHP's and have it my two ways... ;-) )

Thanks, Jaap

Hi Guys,

I have something of a problem to solve which is to do with feedback on this new CHP driver (Gen 2.). The Gen. 2 CHP came about at the request of several members who wanted a "less sharp" sounding driver at the top end. Given the developments on the CHR-70 Gen 3 that extended its high range, I felt obligated to provide an alternative for those members who didn't want this feature.

Now the driver is in circulation, some debate and feedback is starting to happen. But, in order for me to get a broad range of opinion, I'm in need of as much member feedback as possible, especially from those members who made the initial requests for me to make this type of driver.

Some members wanted me to re-make the CHP to follow the EL-70. In particular, Dave (Planet 10) is regularly expressing his disappointment over the current CHP's characteristics. He also owns much of the current CHP Gen. 2 stock in N. America so for the immediate future, a slightly conflicting situation exists and objective representation of this driver is in question.

I'd like to hear from other members besides Dave, being of their own mind, to feedback independently on the current CHP. That way I can get a broader more representative picture on the performance and character of this driver and take on board ideas for future development.

Please accept my apologies if sometimes I focus on key driver issues without giving sufficient room for alternative ideas. I'm try to find the right balance between making drivers to work well for as many guys as possible, while also having to maintain commercial viability. Given the current economic climate, I must confess to feeling the stress at times.

At this time, I'm taking a commercial risk by investing in larger parts stock volumes. So members input on existing drivers and how they should be developed is much welcomed.

Please let me know if you think the CHP Gen 2. (and CHBW) is going in a desirable direction, or if I should return to making a Full-ranger paper driver similar to the EL-70.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Mark,

Keep producing fine drivers of different flavors. I enjoy the new CHP and deploys easily into a premade box by PE. I can't objectively judge which I enjoy most of those I have built with (CHR g1, EL-70 and CHP) mainly because they're in different boxes (CHR g1s in a double till, pictures to follow this most recent build, EL-70 in one of Dave's mMar-Kens and the CHP in a .25cf PE box). I like the CHP best on too-trebley DACs and SS amps, I like the EL-70 with some of my finer amps (both tube and SE SS, and the doubletill's still breaking in.

I do hope that all this debate is taken with a grain of salt...they are all fine drivers at unbelievably low prices.....lets enjoy them all as we would different varieties of wine.

Mario

Hi Chris,

Thanks for offering! I'll have a white one please .

Talking of white... Mark, what happened to the white (ok, cream or whatever) frames of the CHP70 in the start post pics? Limited edition, first test production with a different plastic, one of for personal use? I think they look funny. So if these are available for other models (e.g. gen2), I'm interested. It might help with the w.a.f.:hug: of the project.

Kind regards, Jaap

Hi,

1.) Forget about my cream basket question... I already found the friendly conversation on this topic in this thread:

Looks matter: What's the cheapest/easiest way to get the caramel bezel CHP-70 in EU?

But count this as +1 for natural colored frames..... The Humbrol paint is a nice suggestion though to change the appearance of the driver.

2.) At what stage in the production does the CHP-70 cone become black? I would guess the fibers are died black before the forming process. But what I'm actually curious about, is whether there is a difference in properties between the natural and black cones?

Kind regards, Jaap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.