Marantz PM66SE

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Marantz PM-66 similiar to PM-57

Hi there. I am new to this forum and did start a thread regarding a fault on my Marantz PM-57 amplifier but was advised that the PM-66 had the same transformer and I could get some help from this thread. If anyone could help me with the schematic for that amplifier as I am trying to source a replacement transformer and need to know secondary voltages, VA etc. If anybody knew where I could actually get my hands on a replacement transformer I'd be eternally grateful. Many thanks for any help you might be able to give.

My PM66SE AMP (10 years old) has a problem. While listening via a radio tuner the mute would sometimes cut in and out. It operated OK with a CD player. Then one day I switched on and the amp power lamp would not come on and the amp would not work at all. I found the fuse had gone in the power circuit and changed it and the amp worked again several times playing CD's, but the mute would sometimes cut in with a loud click. Now the fuse has blown again. Any ideas please?

The mute you're referring to is the protection circuit activating, which could be for one of several reasons. The blown fuse would indicate a fair amount of current is being drawn by something within the amp. I'm far from an expert so cant really advise you on what steps to take, but I would probably start by checking for dry solder joints or cracks in the pcb/tracks near the power transistors on the heat sinks. There is a resistor which feeds the protection IC on this amp (R801 if I remember correctly), which runs VERY hot & eventually burns out - it happened on mine, and caused the protection to engage randomly until it died completely. If you look on the schematics you should be able to find it and test with a multimeter if you have one. Although this wouldnt cause the power fuse to blow as far as i know.

Good luck!

Hi there. I posted a message asking where I could source a replacement transformer for my Marantz PM-57 amplifier but didn't get a response. If anyone could help me I'd really appreciate it as it is just sitting there broken and looking very sorry for itself.
Do i need to exactly match the secondary voltages? I don't seem to be able to find anywhere that has suitable transformers.

something wrong with the schematic?

If D701 and D703 are normal silicon diodes (not-Shottky barier diodes), then Q703 (VAS CS) will dissipate above 0,3W just when amp is idle (no input signal). And 2SC2240 is a 0,3W transistor. And when outpit voltage will raise near clipping - twice amount of max power - so it surely die. :xeye:

Ok thanks for replying anyway. I've got exactly the same fault. the resistors look ok but I can't see how to get at the bottom to ahve a go at the joints without dismantling the whole thing which I don't fancy doing.

Where did you get it repaired and was it expensive?

Idling current adjustment

Hello again. I have a little problem. My pm66se has a marked difference in loudness between the channels. So I tried to adjust semi-fixed resistors the way it is described in PM6010F service manual. In about 10 minutes after power-on my digital multometer shows 4mV idling current value on the left channel and 5mV on the right, but in the manual it said to be 10+/-2mV after more than 5 min.
If anybody has PM-66SE (74Pm66/15B) manual, please tell me that idling current setting value indicated in "idling current adjustment" section. Thank you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.