Marantz PM66 KI tweeks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
arnell said:
Wow can i just say a big thanks to this forum. I've had a Marantz PM 66 Ki that hasn't been working for about 4 years. I wanted to get this beast working again so decided to search the web for common problems of this amp and came accross this thread where user "rowemeister" commented

So i hastily had a search inside my amp and low and behold a 47ohm resistor at R802 had blown, quick trip to maplins and 15 minutes soldering later, she's singing again :spin:
To say i'm chuffed to bits is an understatement :)

Just a quick question, i'm quite new to this (only found out yesterday what the different colours on the resistor meant!!) and couldn't match the resistor exactly at maplins.
The one in the amp is Yellow, Purple, Black, Brown and then White (Can't find a reference for a resitor with white at the end ??)
The one i got is Yellow, Purple, Black, Gold and then Brown which = 47ohm +/- 1 % tolerance.
Do you think it will be ok or should i try and hunt down for the exact colour match ?

Don't worry about it. That resistor will work perfectly.

Great news about the amp!

I really should get around to repairing mine:D

Regards, Lee.

Hi guys,

I've been reading this thread for a while now and it's inspiring me to think about modding my hi-fi. I've been the proud owner of a Marantz KI system (PM66-KI + CD63 Mk-II KI) for nearly ten years now. I found this thread when my volume control started to crackle in the right channel - it ended up just being a loose connection, but I got hooked on this thread.

Although I've tinkered with a soldering iron over the years, I'm pretty much a novice. The only thing I've done to my hi-fi is replace the transport in my CDP when it packed in a couple of years ago.

I was thinking of starting with some straight component swaps, such as putting in a decent mains socket, replacing the RCA jacks with Cardas GRFA DBL PRT G, maybe swap the volume pot and binding posts, internal wiring, etc. I'd also like to remove the tape loop circuitry and hardwire the source direct.

Brent - your amps are amazing! You said the extra KI transformer was the biggest single improvement you made, and you said you wired it in parallel - I had a look at your centre amp for reference but wanted to check - do you literally just connect the two identical TXs to the same connectors and that's it?

Also, would you mind awfully just clarifying how you bypassed the preamp stage with your internal rewiring? Any help very much appreciated :)

Hi Ben

Yep just wiring the tx in parallel works a treat (you can do this if you use another KI tx as they are identical).

I wired from the input selector switch to the vol pot and then down to the main pcb. This bypasses all tape loops, balance and even the source direct button (all those crappy ribbons are also eliminated).

Fitting an IEC socket and good lead makes a big difference to dynamics too.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the super fast reply. Hmm, I'm not sure how easy it is to pick up a matching transformer now...

I had a go at doing the bypass this morning but ended up with a very quiet sound. I'm not sure what I did wrong, and couldn't make out exactly what you'd done from your pics.

Am I right in thinking that it's possible to bypass the preamp by simply re-routing the existing ribbon connectors, or do you have to wire directly to the switch?

Any help appreciated,

Ben

The pre amp chip is not bypassed as its on the main pcb and it also drives the output section.

I wired directly to the common output on the selector switch, wired from there to the vol pot and down to the main pcb connector. I removed the L/R wires from the ribbons at the selector pcb and the main pcb. You need to leave the rest of the ribbons connected so that the muting relays and phone stage can still work.

There is always a PM66KI or PM6010KI available on ebay for sale. Best if you can buy a faulty amp.

Brent

pm 66se

hi

i have been wanting to beef up my marantz pm 66 for a while now and after seeing some of these threads i have been inspired to do so....
i want to do something along the lines of chivvyp's mod as i need a lot more power for my cerwin vegas and this seems to be fairly cheap to do as i'm only 15; i know where to get the parts, but i just dont know what to do so any help would be appreciated
i have changed components in my amp before as the right channel went dead, and i have a decent soldering iron and a multimeter but i was wondering if ayone could guide me through it

thanks for any help,
josh:)

Hi
I have also been watching this thread for a few months now- after completing my CD67ose mods courtesy Ray vd steen ;-).

Now I am keen to mod my PM66 KI - already have the Mundorf Supremes, BGs N and STD as well as the Silver Micas. Wondering if doing the ps mods along with input and output mods will be detrimental without the TX upgrade?

Any ideas?

Started mods

I have removed pcb and the caps listed by Rowemeister. :xfingers:

Attachments

• Cap701.jpg
    Cap701.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 398
  • cap702.jpg
    cap702.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 371
  • cap755removed.jpg
    cap755removed.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 358
Dear Sirs,
please excuse me but I lost myself through the pages of this extremely interesting 3D:spin:
Has anyone tried a stepped attenuator ? ;)
or replaced the final transistors with something like Toshiba and/or Sanken ?:rolleyes:
What about the emitter resistors of the output bjts ?
At which page can I find a resume of all the mods ?:confused:
Thank you very much and regards,
ginetto:D

I'd think a more upfront sound due to the toroid vs frame transformer. ... :)

In my humble experience frame trans give a much better isolation for noise from the electrical grid, like noise from lamps and similar.
I understand that for the same VA the weight and dimension can be even double.
But at least in a preamp would be my first choice.
Kind regards,
gino

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.