Marantz CD63KI - XO clock in, sound bad...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: DC blocking/coupling caps

SimontY said:
Hi,

I have modded my player a lot and always want to take it further...

Can anyone advise me, and others, on what caps to replace the [Elna Silmic?] DC blocking caps with, in the Marantz?

You meen at the output (C656 to C658 ??)
In my Case the modfier (not my self) has
regulated the dc-ofset at low as possible
and has put in foil caps WIMA FKP2 and
a small inductance (I can look tomorrow
which one ). My HDAM Modules are bridged
and instead i have two BB OPA2134
in use. In the PSU-.Part i have good
experience made with the panasonic
FC elco caps (especially the one near
the +5v voltage regulator which are only
general purpose Elna RA-Types ). The first 30 minutes the sound was imho wors but after that the sound was really
good. The modfier of my cdplayer from my local hifi-store use sanyo oscons sgs
for elco replacements. :)

i self think of replacing the cd04/cd07 cd15/16 with panasonic fcs 220uf/25volt
(i have 10 left in stock from makeing my aleph ono phonopre.

Thanks for the advice everyone, even if I am more confused then when I began!

TheMyxin, I do mean 655 to C658.

fedde, what on earth is 'anti-parallel configuration (=super-E)'? Is that how they are wired as stock?

Is it quite safe to just remove these caps?
If I do just remove them, is that the job done, or do I need to run wire from one point to another on the board?

...Slightly different subject - anyone think it's worth it to change all or most electrolytics on the board with BG or other fancy caps?

Thanks again,
Simon

RE:RE: Marantz dc-coupling cap question

SimontY said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, even if I am more confused then when I began!

TheMyxin, I do mean 655 to C658.

Ok in this case my opinion is that a elco in the signal path is never a good idea
(for PSU ok, for decoupling in the supply
of an op with a parallel god foil cap
ok for example). If its possible (from the capacity and of course of the space of the cap) ts even better to use a foil cap for dc-decoupling in the signal path than
every elco type cap. Its also better imho
to reduce the dc-offset as low as possible before the output). If you reduce this dc-offset you have less
trouble to block them so that it
dont goes into your preamp or powerampilfier. You find this
elco dc-ofset decoupling arrangement
often in cd-players from different vendors (especially "japanese" like
yamaha,pioneer etc..) and when you search the internet about diy-modifing
of cd-players the remove this elcos and

put often instead better foil types.

I think this link about cap-chooses in
"hifi-gears" will help you generally:
http://www.capacitors.com/pickcap/pickcap.htm

fedde, what on earth is 'anti-parallel configuration (=super-E)'? I

IMHO it means back to back arrangement of the elco ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Back to back arrangement means that they are connected in series with the - poles or + poles connected to eachother.

Super E on the other hand is a marketing term for connecting BG NX or N non polarized caps anti-parallel . Back to head, 69 or something like that ;) Just think of two polarized caps with + of example 1 connected to the - of example 2 and - of example 1 connected to the + of example 2. You get the picture ? Since BG NX is non polarized they don't have + or - marks so you'll have to look very carefully at the text that's printed on them. Don't worry: you'll hear it immediately when you connect them wrong in one channel :D

Best is to bend the wires as neat as possible with-the-tool-whose-english-name-I-always-forget and solder them in advance. Please don't put force at the point where the lead wires go in the cap, it is not beneficial for the lifetime of the cap. When you want to work tidy ( I always do ) you can also glue or kit them together or tape them. You can brag then about the non resonating solution to yourself ! Sometimes you have to drill the holes in the pcb a bit wider ( 1 mm or 1.2 mm if the pad size allows it ).

Non polarized electrolytics are made internally "back to back" except for some exotic types like BG NX which are non-polar because of the used polymer AFAIK. When you want to experiment with this arrangement please connect the caps the same way in the left and right channel. ( so both - poles connected left and right or both + poles connected left and right ). With standard polarized caps you win some, with good caps you loose some. With good electrolytics I prefer only one cap but you'll get the ever returning question of how to connect the cap ( tip: measurements ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.