Marantz CD63 reclock with direct TCXO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mr Clark, you cant bring experience and engineering into Audiophile Bodging, please:)
This is a prime example of what is becoming my biggest peeve with "Audiophile" modifications, digital clocks...Not only is the device not suitable, but the implementation of the modification is of a low standard and any guidelines and recommendations for routing clocks (short, short, short. proximity to ground plane etc.) for reducing impedance mismatches and thus not adding extra jitter have been ignored. The power supply filtering and certainly the decoupling is going to be ineffective at frequencies where you would want filtering for a Oscillator. A simple LDO with the correct size decoupling caps on a bit of veroboard, and the output connection as short as possible (not 6 inch of cable!) would have been slightly more acceptable. As it is I would imagine the clock output to look horrible by the time it gets to the input pin, never mind what extra EMI mush it is probably creating, but who needs measurements in this fantasy world of modding (! I use the term loosely). The bare minimum you could do with a scope is at least determine what (if any) termination you could use to combat the various impedance mismatches and match the oscillators output to the line it is having to drive.
I will no doubt be dubbed a kid and wotever else again, but this sort of "modding" does not help Audio optimisation move forward and provides nothing to the collective pool of knowledge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.