Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: diverse outputs

disco said:
Hi Simon,

It's probably my fault but I can't stand this record any longer. Even the cat gets sour when it's on.
Having the new caps run in decently, I just put Crazy Horse' Ragged Glory on. Yeh, rowhide! :whazzat:

Regards, Jaap

Ahh, well I've not done it to death yet, but I'm sure that will happen eventually. I don't have any Crazy Horse but I do like Neil Young - Harvest for testing and of course generally enjoying ;)

I've noticed lots of little noises and on some tracks a noisy background on Diana Krall. I thought this disc was quieter than that, but this player is digging up all sorts of funny sounds now, which I love.

Re: Re: Re: Re: diverse outputs

SimontY said:

Ahh, well I've not done it to death yet, but I'm sure that will happen eventually. I don't have any Crazy Horse but I do like Neil Young - Harvest for testing and of course generally enjoying ;)

I've noticed lots of little noises and on some tracks a noisy background on Diana Krall. I thought this disc was quieter than that, but this player is digging up all sorts of funny sounds now, which I love.

Young is in it as well.

Well, you are actually getting at analog levels now. :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: diverse outputs

disco said:
Young is in it as well.

Well, you are actually getting at analog levels now. :D

That's why I mentioned Young.. Indeed, sounding clichéd I'd say the one word that describes the overall effect is to make the sound more analogue. Of course this doesn't include the problems vinyl has, or the colouration, so it's good stuff.

Re: Re: Re: diverse outputs

disco said:

Allan, that's why I bought a second player! Furthermore I could keep up appearances when I would wreck one :)

Have you tried the FET's yet? I recon these have to be matched?

rgds, Jaap

yes Jaap,
that is why i bought the cd67:xeye:

the bc550c's in the diff are matched for hfe.
i have some LM394's and MAT02's sitting around that i should try also.

haven't tried fet yet
have some 2sk389's to try for that.

allan

:)

Attachments

• marantz5d.jpg
    marantz5d.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 416
How to do

Owning a 63 ki for 7 years now I am thinking about replacing it. I've been loking for 2nd hand players like the Rega Jupiter, Naim cd5i etc. just earlier somebody on another forum mentioned this forum. And what a topic, so long. Must take some time to read it al. I hope I will also find some thigs you can do without being a technician at all.

Regards,

Rein
:smash:

Re: How to do

Rein said:
Owning a 63 ki for 7 years now I am thinking about replacing it. I've been loking for 2nd hand players like the Rega Jupiter, Naim cd5i etc. just earlier somebody on another forum mentioned this forum. And what a topic, so long. Must take some time to read it al. I hope I will also find some thigs you can do without being a technician at all.

Regards,

Rein
:smash:

Hi Rein, and welcome!

You will find a few things you can do to perk up the performance that require minimal technical know-how, and people here will help if you get stuck.

For starters you can change the feet for cones, they just unscrew from underneath. Also, you can remove the lid and apply a sheet of adhesive bitumen to damp it.

Those changes alone take it up a good notch towards more accurate musicality. Of course there'll still be 7 veils to remove ;)

Regards
Simon

Rein said:
Hi Simon,

What kind of feet do you suggest to replace the original ones. and the bitum, that is the kind you can buy in a carshop?

Rein.
Hi.

Car shop bitumen panels are a lot cheaper than the 'HIFI' type.
But shop around, some places sell to the car audio market and these are 3 times the price. As a guide, I buy 40cm x 20cm approx (enough to cover the lid of a CD63) for £3.25

For feet, an alternate is small oak furniture knobs! Although it does depend on the type of surface on which the cdp is on. (hard feet if on a solid rigid base - sorbothane if it is on a surface which may vibrate)

Andy