Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Uh oh...

Let's see, do you have:

- about 14V at pin 7 of the AD797 ?
I've got 13.74V here

- about 2V at pin 3 of the AD797 ?
1.92V here

And I double checked L1 : 4.94V
I must have been too tired yesterday evening, didn't check that one correctly :eek:

I also checked the output of the clock : 3.35V says my multimeter when the flea is not connected to anything.
drops to 1,something V when soldered to the player pcb.
Also, the lens keep still when i power on the pcb, but if i touch, the clock output with my multimeter probe (not even the ground with the other probe) then the lens move to end of disc and tries to go beyond.

Does it mean the flea is OK ?

Thanks for your help everyone btw !

Last edited:
I've done what i should have tried earlier when the clock was mentionned. I've put the original one in place (happy to have another player still fully original, I just had to compare my removed parts lot with the one in that one), powered on : the lens came back to its starting place and the disc spinned.

So there's something wrong with my flea board clock.

Then I wanted to give a shot just to be sure everythings fine :
here's my marantz cd57 ghetto style setup :p

IMGP0446_zpsb5ad588c.jpg

What you need to do is to buy a 50VA 2X12V toroidal transformer. Now look at the circuit diagram of the CD63. Disconnect the stock transformer's secondary winding from U308(12V), U309(earth) and U310(12V) and replace them by the 50VA Tx. You should also change C813 to a bigger cap. say 10000UF to 22000uF. For C814 change it with a 6800uF or 10000uF cap.

You may wish to see the photo in my thread 19085 for reference: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/54009-marantz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1909.html

Here you can find the service manual if you don't have it: Ray's Audio Page

With a bigger Tx when the CD drive is run the voltage drop from the Tx output is around 0.5V but with the stock Tx you will find that the voltage can drop by almost 5V. Once a new Tx is fitted you will hear a tighter bass and the LF is much more extended. Worth a try and it is not that difficult :D

I ve got the Tx but I'm not sure how to install it properly. It's this one:

http://www.amplimo.nl/images/downloads/ds standardrange/18612.pdf

Do I connect them parallel? Red + blue on U308 and yellow + grey on U310. Where do I get de earth from? I don't need a fuse before the Tx, do I?

Do I have to change the C813 cap (22.000uf Pan. TSUP 16V) to a 25V type, or will this work fine?

I've got 13.74V here
1.92V here

And I double checked L1 : 4.94V
I must have been too tired yesterday evening, didn't check that one correctly :eek:

I also checked the output of the clock : 3.35V says my multimeter when the flea is not connected to anything.
drops to 1,something V when soldered to the player pcb.
Also, the lens keep still when i power on the pcb, but if i touch, the clock output with my multimeter probe (not even the ground with the other probe) then the lens move to end of disc and tries to go beyond.

Does it mean the flea is OK ?

Thanks for your help everyone btw !

Ok, so the 5V is there, that's good. But the output should measure around 2.5V with a DMM. Are you sure you have put the oscillator on correctly?

Ray

It works !
See my edited post above.
The flea was my first attempt at soldering. Well seriously soldering I mean. Two bad solder on it :p

I just put everything back in the box, a bit heavy now, and fired one of the CD I listen to when wondering what improvement I may found.
Damn, the clock upgrade is great. One of the best improvement with the bigger caps in the power section.

Thanks everyone for your support !

Last edited: