Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

A lot of the information we can give you all depends on your ability to upgrade and understand the circuits. There are simple guides that cover opamp changes , capacitor swaps , clocking etc and then there are more complex upgrades that include further clocking , multiple regulator installs, transformer upgrades etc etc.

Let us know where you are heading and we can try to point you to the correct guides etc

Brent

The first thing I would do is change pretty much all the capacitors on the 5V rails. All except CD15 & CD16 I would fit Oscon SEPC, if you cannot get SEPC then other oscons will do a job. If you manage to get some Blackgates that would be even better. The above mentioned capacitors I would fit 16V 470uF Rubycon ZA / ZLG.

Once these are done I remove C813 and C814. If you can get a large value capcitor connected up. We use 25V 22000uF Mundorf caps here (we do have to drill the pcb so the legs fit. You can also turn the cap upside down and hardwire to the pcb. Shorting out the two fuses helps a lot too but it is best to wait until you are satisfied with the work and it all works without popping a fuse.

The it is the output section....

Brent

I bought a VAM1202/12 from Liberty Electronics (eBay seller id: bh5767). I haven't installed it yet but it certainly appears to be a genuine Philips part.

I'd just have one ready until the old one packs up - that's unless you want to read the writable formats that the original couldn't.

Last edited:
Thanks Ben.

I'm torn between doing as you suggest or just doing some reliability upgrades.

What reliability upgrades? The only things that go wrong on these players are the lasers and dry joints on the output phono's?????

Replacing the laser is definitely not an upgrade because even the ones that say Philips on them are cheap crap by comparison to the originals. I've had 3 Philips units that have given problems.

If it doesn't need a laser, don't bother. Start replacing caps as suggested....

What reliability upgrades? The only things that go wrong on these players are the lasers and dry joints on the output phono's?????

Replacing the laser is definitely not an upgrade because even the ones that say Philips on them are cheap crap by comparison to the originals. I've had 3 Philips units that have given problems.

If it doesn't need a laser, don't bother. Start replacing caps as suggested....

Well, that's clear enough. Thanks!