Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

That will explain that then ;).

I fitted all 8 of my mica in at 45 deg angles.

Brent

Did you cover the resistor holes? I could make them fit diagonally by using the resistor holes and fit the resistors in the cap holes (obviously not just swapping the components over!!!:eek:) ensuring the circuit remained unchanged.

As I want to try those Z-Foils, I wanted to ensure that the resistor points were completely unimpeded....:goodbad:

I replaced the ceramics on my HF amp PCB with micas last night. They fitted very neatly and I thought I'd got away with a quick no-drama mod until I discovered that the tray wouldn't open any more :) I got it sorted in the end, squashing them as flat as I could, and just got enough clearance.

The skipping has gone away since I fitted regs to the servo chip, so it appears that it was something to do with the 5v supply.

All this DOS talk makes me want to skip ahead to doing mine. Brent, I was reading through some early posts on clocking the servo and I saw you were very happy with a flip-flop for a while. Did you blow that configuration out of the water with a second clock? I'm trying to get away with building just the one flea if I can.

On the subject of Black Gates, if anyone new feels down about not being able to get hold of them, you might be interested to hear my experience with them. I replaced ALL the electrolytic caps in my player with Black Gates, changed op-amps for LM4562, filter caps for mica and skipped HDAM. After all that, and even after putting big SI caps in PSU, I found that my CD63KI still did not sound significantly better than a stock CD67 in a blind A/B test. However, I got massive gains from fitting 10 cheap 5v regs to feed the various chip supplies, and now it sounds far and away better than the '67 in all aspects - no comparison.

I'm not saying they don't do anything, as I'm certain they do, but I think they're icing on the cake of an already good system and can possibly even be to the detriment of a stock player without the voltage rails being sorted first.

I replaced ALL the electrolytic caps in my player with Black Gates, changed op-amps for LM4562, filter caps for mica and skipped HDAM. After all that, and even after putting big SI caps in PSU, I found that my CD63KI still did not sound significantly better than a stock CD67 in a blind A/B test. However, I got massive gains from fitting 10 cheap 5v regs to feed the various chip supplies, and now it sounds far and away better than the '67 in all aspects - no comparison.

I'm not saying they don't do anything, as I'm certain they do, but I think they're icing on the cake of an already good system and can possibly even be to the detriment of a stock player without the voltage rails being sorted first.

I think you're quite brave to admit that and good on you. The regs are certainly far more important than nice caps. Blind listening is, however, tricky!

I found blind listening very hard to set up. I think I managed it in the end, but it wasn't me doing the listening! Mostly I do a non-blind A/B and just set both players up with identical CDs and swap inputs, keeping levels the same.

I'm obviously not that brave as I'm only happy to admit it now I'm confident that I have the stock player clearly beaten ;-)

The problem with blind listening, is you have to feel your way around to find the remote and its a lottery what CD you've put on
:rofl::rofl:
BlindSmiley.gif

My bad!!!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.