Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I've not been 100% happy with the new dos sound. It still has less 'air' and hardness to the sound that I never had before.

Today I have swapped the BC550 (T5) for the current drive on the fets to a 2sc2240 as used on the older dos. The sound is now so much more composed, more linear, more composed and more 'air'.

I recommend people try this.

I am going to try a set of 2sa970 or 2sa1085 instead of the BC560 on the CFP

Brent

Swapped the Tacman carbon resistors on dos filter back to the Welwyn RC55Y 0.1% metal film from old pcb to see what difference there is between the two.

The accuracy and snap on snare drums is back to what I had before, they offer more ambiance to the upper mids and treble too. Strangely though the bass has become deeper as this was not expected. I am going to leave the metal films in.

Brent

Last edited:
I could never figure this out for myself. I hope you don't mind me copying your parts list when you're done, Brent?

I put 2 regs on my servo control IC last night, separating analogue and digital lines. I listened at low volume for a couple of hours and never heard it skip, so fingers crossed. I also put one on the CPU. The improvement has been pretty staggering. I plan to do the driver ICs next.

Am I missing any good places for 5v regs? I built 2 more that I am not using. I have 4 on DAC, 3 on decoder, 2 on servo, 1 on CPU.