Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I have an R-Core in my chinese dac, but haven't tested any in my main system before. I've read many good things about them though so would like to try some someday.

Size is an issue here though. Only the driver ic and output stage psu's are offboard and I don't want to add any more to be honest.

Do you have a source for small R-Cores we can look at Ricardo?

Lee.

re mods so far

These players do tend towards brightness when you bypass the HDAM without improving the whole player sufficiently. My player (very modified) never really lost the brightness completely (inherent to the DAC/chipset perhaps?) so I've moved to an older player that has a warmer sound (my preference). With that said, using good caps in all the right spots, new clock (clockS in CD63), and much tidied up power rails it doesn't sound overbright at all, just sharp and clean.

Simon
This is exactly what ive got just not sure its what i like to listen to.
soo clear and detailed jst not floating my boat at the mo?
cheers guys alan

That CD52 is a bit warmer but I bet you've lost a lot of detail putting that in your system. It does work well with those op-amps though, nice sounding machine.

The CD63 can offer more and more, there's no denying it. That's why Lee and Ian are looking at it again despite both tasting high end TDA1541 sound. I can't see myself doing the same as I feel this path is still right for me at the moment. I think the choice of music and your speakers and amp should or inevitably will affect your cd player preference.

Simon

Lmao!!!!! You now see exactly where I was 2 years ago! That's why I went tda1541! I think for intermediate mods you can't beat it. What you are describing is why I stopped messing with 63's. However i' sure if you are prepared to do what I am doing now, you will get the warmth of those tda's and early phillips bitstream chips in the 63..........we'll see eh!!

Maybe, but the tech of the DACs maybe makes them sound different in a way that can't be modded out... same reason the 1541 won't give that level of openness and detail.

It makes us wonder, naturally, what is the ULTIMATE digital playback system for redbook audio? I know at one point Lee thought it was using a PC as a source but I think he changed his mind (a few times) since.

There is nothing wrong with pc audio. I've got my modded sb3 running into
a modded 1541 dac and it's awesome. As you say it dac character. I've done everything to a 1541 from passive to valve to feedback to non feedback outputstage and I adore the character. I've pushed it as far as I can and now o want to do the same with the 63. I still think alan's hearing the same as i did when I went down the 1541 route a couple
Of years ago!!!

Regs will add very little extra load I would expect.

The SE transformer is ok, it's the "vanilla" one that can be an issue when feeding servo driver regs.

Alan, the CD63 is ruthless at revealing inadequacies in the recordings/production when in the state of tune yours is currently in. There is a better state where the issues are heard but are not obstructive of musical enjoyment. It's not an easy place to reach, however.

Simon

It's not an easy place to reach, however.

Simon

I agree with that. The cd63 chipset really does seem incredibly sensitive to power supply noise, which I assume is why it responds so well to low-noise regs etc.

If you're in it for the long-haul I'd definitely stick with it and just keep adding high-quality parts because when you do reach a high level of upgrades it's unbelievably good. The older players that I've worked on give you more for less in terms of basic upgrades, but once you have a load of regulators and a clock or two in the cd63 it starts to become so worth-while.

Just my findings/opinion of course

Lee.

Tnks Lee! I'll go out and get some 7805's then :D

Power supply is still not right btw. I changed them for larger caps, but esp soundstage and depth and some details disappeared. This is very noticeable in songs with a lot of instruments playing together; the sound is a bit like a mess then.

This is what I did now:

C803/804 Panasonic 10000UF, 35V TSHA - still there
C813 Panasonic 22000UF, 16V TSUP - still there
C814 Panasonic 22000UF, 16V TSUP -> Panasonic FM 2200UF, 16V
C815 Rubycon ZL 6800UF, 6.3V -> original 3300uF
C805/806 Panasonic FM 2200UF, 16V -> Panasonic 1000UF, 63V TSUP

Bypassed with 1uF on C803/804/813/814, 100nF on the rest.

Anything wrong here?

Changing C813 back to the 4700uF Elna's improves sq, but the bass sounds worse.

Change any of them for one of these? (I'm not feeling like ordering new caps ;-):
- 1x Panasonic 22000UF, 16V TSUP
- 1x Panasonic FM 2200UF, 16V
- 1x Elna 4700uF 16V (M) (original in 63 SE)
- 1x Nichison 4700uF VX(M)
- 2x Elna 470uF 470 35V Silmic II (put them now in CD15/16)

Bart

re 63

:rolleyes:
Regs will add very little extra load I would expect.

The SE transformer is ok, it's the "vanilla" one that can be an issue when feeding servo driver regs.

Alan, the CD63 is ruthless at revealing inadequacies in the recordings/production when in the state of tune yours is currently in. There is a better state where the issues are heard but are not obstructive of musical enjoyment. It's not an easy place to reach, however.

Simon
As you say simon its really ruthless with a badly produced cd,
i read somewhere you wont like much of your collection while modding a player where to next aint giving up modding:D
cheers alan

Hi I just put some regs at the drivers ic's and decoder and one on the dac. Now I'd like to try the 2nd reg on the dac, the servo and the uP. Can I just keep adding regs or is the transformer of the SE 63 to small for this? If so which one has the most effect?

Bart
Do you have a clock in there ?
the dac and servo make a huge differrence when clocked .
alan ;)