Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

For the life of me, I cannot remember where I got it. You can be sure that in this condition though, it was very cheap.

Hey Brent, full upgrade type jobbie here. Just done the opamps(LM4562)/hdam bypass and fitting the elco's around dac section. Not going to town on the output as it'll be totally replaced with DOS and psu etc.

Lee.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Look what I found:D

Think I'll have a proper go at this as my new project. I've tried lots of different players and dacs etc over the last couple of years and none of them have been capable of the dynamics, detail and just downright brilliant sound of a fully modded cd63.

I'll be doing this pretty slowly fitting it in around work. I'll do my best to document as much of it as possible on here as it could help a few of the newcomers to this thread.

Long may it continue,

Lee.

A cd63 beating the tda1541 dac by Oliver (group buy) ??

For sure yes. That dac is fantastic, lovely warmth and smoothness with a lot of detail. The second-best digital I've ever heard in fact. But I find it lacks a bit of detail and transparency and this is something I've noticed before with tda1541. I tried NOS (which was cr*p: more detail but comparably poor bass) and oversampling. I do think it's down to the sa7220 digital filter though, and not the tda1541a.

I know for certain though that the monster cd63 is streets ahead.

Lee.

Hi Alon.

Yep removed those. I'm probably going to get lynched for this next one, but I don't like the Salas Shunt regs either, lol.

I used my own Series regs mounted really close to the dac itself. Massive psu's and a seperate reg for every rail too.

This has got me thinking though. I'm going to make the cd63 a transport only to start with, which falls in handily with my original plan of doing all the servo mods first anyway.

I can then compare the cd63 against the monster modded cd94 as a transport and see if that tells a story.

Lee.

Lol..not at all each one to there own taste..I personally love the salas shunts.

But then I have not yet heard a fully modded cd63.

I reckon that once you get to a certain level, it becomes more about taste..and everyone is different.

Still wouldn't mind hearing your cd63 once all is complete ;)

Alon

Hi Lee

Why did you not like the shunts ? Size... heat ?

I did not realize you built series regs... Would you share some info ?

Regards

Ricardo

For me Size, heat and the fact that you cant get them on top on the pin you're supplying. I built Oliver's DAC including Salas shunts on the DAC and DEM clock. TBH, my player sounded better with 4 SPowers doing the same and I've needed to go off board for the DAC. I wish I'd never gone down this route! I'm now running 18 decent regs. 4 of them are Salas shunts. The shunts take up more space than 50 SPowers.

I'm sure they are good in the right places but if you want to push beyond, you need small efficient regs not large greedy heaters in your player ! :eek::eek:

Now there's a can of worms I've opened, but as I'm speaking from my own experience, I'm happy to share my own opinion!:D:D

Last edited:
BTW here's the DAC section with 4 salas shunts

043.jpg

Here's the player transport with 3 SPowers hardly noticable

045.jpg

Here's the Decoder, filter, HF amp, Ram and 2 clocks, all with Spowers or similar

046.jpg

I'm not sure I could fit 6 shunts in the same space and I'm not investing in a water cooling system for my CDP!!!

There you go Recardo!!! you did ask!! ;)

Hi Ian,

Nice dac :)

At what current do you run the Salas shunts? I run mine at 200ma and they are just warm...
I will soon be changing my Salas shunts in my dac, they will become salas shunts v1.1 with remote sensing ;)

I also noticed that you have removed the tl431's from the dac board, but left in the relating caps and resistors..any reason for this?

Thanks

Alon

Hi Ian,

Nice dac :)

At what current do you run the Salas shunts? I run mine at 200ma and they are just warm...
I will soon be changing my Salas shunts in my dac, they will become salas shunts v1.1 with remote sensing ;)

I also noticed that you have removed the tl431's from the dac board, but left in the relating caps and resistors..any reason for this?

Thanks

Alon

The shunt regs are not changed from standard values.

The resistors are on the board but the only end that connects to the supply line is lifted so they are effectively out of circuit. The caps are still on the rails so I have Nichicon LFE (I think) solid polymer caps and Black Gate FK's on the rails.

Dont get me wrong, this set up is awesome, I've just had it sounding better previously! ;)

I think Oliver's latest board with built in mosfet I/V will be better than this mkI board. In my opinion, the supply rails and the I2S traces are way too long.

Last edited:
I can see the resistors that you have lifted...but im talking about the ones next to the wima caps and nichicon LFE caps(part of the shunt circuitry for the tl431's...i took all of these out(caps and resistors) as i remember Salas saying something about his shunts working best going straight into the load..

If you use a 10ohm resistor for current setting then you will be running 200ma...not sure why yours are running so hot!!! doesnt sound right to me...mine are hardly warm.

Alon

I can see the resistors that you have lifted...but im talking about the ones next to the wima caps and nichicon LFE caps(part of the shunt circuitry for the tl431's...i took all of these out(caps and resistors) as i remember Salas saying something about his shunts working best going straight into the load..

If you use a 10ohm resistor for current setting then you will be running 200ma...not sure why yours are running so hot!!! doesnt sound right to me...mine are hardly warm.

Alon

The supply's are direct and none of the original resistors are in circuit. The LFE's are additional local decoupling. The supply's are linked under the board.

The supply's are direct and none of the original resistors are in circuit. The LFE's are additional local decoupling. The supply's are linked under the board.

Oh i see!! did'nt realise that the supplies were linked under the board!!! Sorry :eek:

This is how i linked my shunts to my dac board.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.