Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hello there
When I recently looked for an upgrade and modification for my CD67/OSE I found this extensive thread with a lot of information. Great - but somewhat frightening, too.
Markus

Hi Markus, welcome to this thread! It can be quite intimidating indeed, with over 16000 posts :yes:. Isn't it great? :D

I have a lot of mods lists on my website. The one for the CD63-KI is the most recent and complete, with lots of Farnell ordering codes in it. For your CD67 you can use this one. It's for the CD57, but internally this is the same player as yours.

The great thing about these mods is that you can take it step-by-step. Just start at the beginning of the list to upgrade the power supplies, these are the easiest mods. Then upgrade the analog filter, swap the opamps and add a decent clock. The quickest ones that will give instant result are the removal of the muting transistors and bypassing of the output caps.

Regards,

Ray

Last edited:
Just butting in! My 67' should be in the post from Brent. He never did find anything wrong so that will be a total mystery. While there, he did something interesting...I forget what. I think this is really the end of the upgrade line for me (but I've said that before haven't I) Over to you Ray. (I really wish you hadn't mentioned your new improved DOS version!!!)
I was reading thru the list for the 57' and realized I still have the digital-out circuit active. Does this make an audible difference? I think I asked Brent this a long time ago and he didn't seem to think so.

Last edited:
Bad cess and sod's law. Got my cdp back from Brent today and something must have happened in transport because it doesn't read the disk. Back it goes. The only thing I should remove and disable is the head on my neck, and leave it outside for the cats. Rude words are not allowed but many were shouted in the privacy of my dismay. GRRRRRR
p.s. bad cess is an American expression. My English lady had never heard it. GRRRRR

The great thing about these mods is that you can take it step-by-step. Just start at the beginning of the list to upgrade the power supplies, these are the easiest mods. Then upgrade the analog filter, swap the opamps and add a decent clock. The quickest ones that will give instant result are the removal of the muting transistors and bypassing of the output caps.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I have tried some of your mods list especially at PSU, Servo and Driver. Anyway I'm quite curious with your advice as mentioned above, the removal of muting transistor. Where is the position of muting transistor in CD63SE? Is it between Opamp and HDAM?

Regards,

Tyo

Hi Markus, welcome to this thread! It can be quite intimidating indeed, with over 16000 posts :yes:. Isn't it great? :D

I have a lot of mods lists on my website. The one for the CD63-KI is the most recent and complete, with lots of Farnell ordering codes in it. For your CD67 you can use this one. It's for the CD57, but internally this is the same player as yours.

Regards,

Ray

Hello Ray
Thanks for your help and giving me an easy start.
I will certainly go step by step implementing the various stages described. My CD67 was modified a long time ago (around 1999) by a colleague with an XO clock from LC Audio, some capacitors in the power supply and new opamps, BB OPA2134PA. Actually the sound was worse than before so I went back to the original opamps. Now reading this thread, I understand that less is more with better opamps ...
I am looking forward to finally upgrade my CD67 substantially (my first CD player, quite expensive for a student at that time) and bringing this project to an happy end after more than 10 years!
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU CONTRIBUTING TO THIS THREAD!

Regards, Markus

PS: Not sure, if I will go that far, but who sells Burson modules in Europe?

You're welcome! Please let us know the results!

Nowadays there are far better opamps available than the ancient OPA2134. AD8610, LM4562 to name just two. But if you want the best sound out of your player, go for The DOS (Discrete Output Stage). And that's not just because I happen to sell a PC board for it :D. It's also a discrete design, like the Bursons, and completely DIY. It replaces the entire analog section after the DAC chip. If you make this choice early, it can save you a lot of trouble modifying the opamp section and analog filter, bypassing HDAM etc.

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Markus

I did like reading your post... made me remenber how I started modding my 20+ years old CD53.

I guess the DOS is the way to go... Just use a good dedicated psu.

Also pay attention to Ray´s list of mods and focus on the psu lines.

Of course you can start by only upgrading with the LME49720HA... I have done it and these are outstanding opamps indeed.... Just need a good psu :):)

What type of +5v main reg is there in your cdp ?

I second that Ray. I will say however if you are not up to building a DOS and cant afford Bursons the LME49720HA is a superb opamp. With all those three mentioned they do thrive on a very good psu

Brent

Hello Brent

Thanks for your recommendations and advice.
Actually, I have done some research on prepacked upgrade packages lately and - have placed an order with you exactly for these opamps included in the level 1 upgrade.
I will give you and Ray feedback once I have installed this package on my CD67.
It will be interesting to compare the performance to an SA8400. This one has been modified already a month ago (PSU capacitors upgraded, output capacitors removed, etc). I have added more modifications mentioned in Ray`s list for the SA8400 over the weekend.
yH5BAEAAA8ALAAAAAAPAA8AAARe8EkJap341cbYWhcGOCTnLQowjWR5KoiqkUDgcDWsWrUAND0egNEI+CrGCsJQ6QCHnkpiWVl0rh8F7FCofr4o2LKr+QCyOgNZo03x1ASZBkGnH+ByCuCu7uZFPBkRAAA7

Looking inside a medium priced CD player it is somehow surprising how much bottlenecks have been built in in order to save pennies and enable "cost effective" mass production. And for making a difference to more expensive models.

Cheers, Markus

Absolutely agree Brent. To prevent any potential confusion: LM4562 = LME49720 but the -HA version is the metal can package :D

The SA8400 is a very nice machine. But in standard form, a well-modified CD67 surpasses it. Once it's properly tweaked, it beats it easily.

By the way, I have a few LME49710HA (4x) and 49720HA (2x) here if anyone's interested. I'm not going to use them (it's just not my kind of opamp, personal taste) so they are just sitting here collecting dust. They can be difficult to obtain so i'd better make someone alse happy with it. They were free samples, so I won't ask too much for it, just drop me an e-mail if you are interested.

Regards,

Ray

Last edited:
Ray I find low noise regs and larger uF caps for the HA work well, they also take an age to burn in. Std regs and small caps tend to make these opamps sound bright.

Even though the HA uses the same spec sheet as the NA and MA i'm convinced they are configured more class A. They run very warm and seem to track along to bass better + have a more detailed top end. Anyone else found this?

Brent