Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

philpoole said:
Mine's a prototype on strip board, and some of the caps are a bit big. So its a lot bigger at the moment!

mine are wima caps mkp2 in filter usable for mica caps too
output cap is large wima mks4 4.7uF 100v

trany's are bc550's and one 2sc2240
input diff pair for lm394 but usable with 550's (bc550c's used now) or mat02's
pcb 35mm by 75mm per channel
board sit's ontop of opamps hdam 10mm after rd21 to r24 and 10mm before C655-C658
so easy to jump wire in and out

ran out of strip boards one night and found some iron on transfer's

allan

ps
thanks andy
i shouldn't post in the morning before work:rolleyes:

brain not working

Well after a quick mess about with resistor values I have a display now too.

12V ac divided with 10ohm and 100ohm resistors. Ohms law does not equate due to current draw but it now runs at 3.4V.

Im going to run all day to check for thermal problems but as yet everything seems fine.

Attachments

• display working (1)_small.jpg
    display working (1)_small.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 411
rowemeister said:
Well after a quick mess about with resistor values I have a display now too.

12V ac divided with 10ohm and 100ohm resistors. Ohms law does not equate due to current draw but it now runs at 3.4V.

Im going to run all day to check for thermal problems but as yet everything seems fine.

Hi Brent,

Well, there's must be at least one thing that doesn't equate :D.
Why don't you use just one series resistor?
Like (12V - 3,4V) / 0,2A = 43 ohm ?

The 100 ohm you have in there now only increases current draw. The display needs about 0,6VA, so 0,8VA seems to be enough at first. But total power is 12V * 0,2A = 2,4VA and not 3,4V * 0,2A.

Regards,

Ray.

poynton said:
Hi.

Something doesn't add up ?

To drop 8.6v across 10ohm = 0.86A !!

V = I x R and all that ...

It suggests that you are really overloading the Tx to get the nominal 12v to drop to an on-load voltage of 5.4v.

200Ma x 5.4v = 2.7W

Andy

Your right and the tx is running pretty hot, its with in its max temp but I dont like it.
I used the 12v winding as it was spare on the tx to see how well the display would run etc
I was about to order a 6v TX so the volt drop would be less.

6h5c said:

Hi Brent,

Well, there's must be at least one thing that doesn't equate :D
Why don't you use just one series resistor?
Like (12V - 3,4V) / 0,2A = 43 ohm ?

The 100 ohm you have in there now only increases current draw.

Regards,

Ray.

Not tried the one res approach yet, I just banged it all together in my lunch whilst eating and ran it.

Coffee break coming up so ill give it a whirl.

Brent

Well all I can say is Oh how sweet it is :D

I just finished bypassing the HDAM, disbled the headphone circuit, and disabled the muting circuit in my CD63 and have to say this mod shows vas improvement. I had replace the opamps years ago change power supply caps ect. It's funny how the HDAM kills the sound of good opamps. Next up is the clock upgrade with separate power supply.

Thanks go out to Ray and Brent for posting their mods here.

Regards,

Dave

Hey Gooch

A clock upgrade (with a dedicated PSU) will indeed be a very sweet upgrade. I have the audiocom superclock 2 and a custom 5V PSU, and the sheer brilliance of this upgrade is still sinking in.
I just recieved my copy of Norah Jones - Come away with me, and boy does this cd sound good. Its as though norah is lying in bed next to me :D

I'm going to disable my headphone circuit asap, install my + and - 12V regs, put in my schottky diodes, and install my IEC socket with new mains cable, in the next few weeks. But my op-amp upgrade and complete replacement of the important caps and resistors may have to wait as i need a dvd-writer more importantly atm, than a few upgrades :rolleyes:

Good luck modding mate.

ad

Gooch said:
Well all I can say is Oh how sweet it is :D

I just finished bypassing the HDAM, disbled the headphone circuit, and disabled the muting circuit in my CD63 and have to say this mod shows vas improvement. I had replace the opamps years ago change power supply caps ect. It's funny how the HDAM kills the sound of good opamps. Next up is the clock upgrade with separate power supply.

Thanks go out to Ray and Brent for posting their mods here.

Regards,

Dave

No problems mate, Im sure Ray and myself will find a few more tweeks yet :smash:

adfinni said:
Hey Gooch

A clock upgrade (with a dedicated PSU) will indeed be a very sweet upgrade. I have the audiocom superclock 2 and a custom 5V PSU, and the sheer brilliance of this upgrade is still sinking in.
I just recieved my copy of Norah Jones - Come away with me, and boy does this cd sound good. Its as though norah is lying in bed next to me :D

I'm going to disable my headphone circuit asap, install my + and - 12V regs, put in my schottky diodes, and install my IEC socket with new mains cable, in the next few weeks. But my op-amp upgrade and complete replacement of the important caps and resistors may have to wait as i need a dvd-writer more importantly atm, than a few upgrades :rolleyes:

Good luck modding mate.

ad

Doesn't it make you feel good when the differences are so obvious, makes you want to listen to all your cds

Brent

YO

brent: I can't express how much i enjoy listening to music now. Sometimes i just have to sit back from my desk, and stop the work im doing, just to get the correct distance away from the so they sound perfect.

Allan: Totally agree with you thoughts on the cd. I just bought it on an impulse and thought it would sound good. But WOW. Just WOW :D

Another thing. I was asking for a little help on choosing mains cables on avforums, and this one guy against any use of better quality mains cables replied to my post, after i gave a few detials about my mods (just posted that the clock and custom PSU made a huge difference):

I understand what he's trying to do with the CD-63 - the mods are well known, but I'm not sure that they are really worth doing these days, when you can buy CD players with optical connections, and really cheap amps. The CD-63 mods were done to get a really good CD player at a knock-down price, but that was some time ago.

:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

He must be right, as my £100 delta 290, and £150 cd-63 (so far), sound vastly superior to the £800 arcam combo i demo'd my speakers on ;)

adfinni said:
YO

brent: I can't express how much i enjoy listening to music now. Sometimes i just have to sit back from my desk, and stop the work im doing, just to get the correct distance away from the so they sound perfect.

Allan: Totally agree with you thoughts on the cd. I just bought it on an impulse and thought it would sound good. But WOW. Just WOW :D

Another thing. I was asking for a little help on choosing mains cables on avforums, and this one guy against any use of better quality mains cables replied to my post, after i gave a few detials about my mods (just posted that the clock and custom PSU made a huge difference):

I understand what he's trying to do with the CD-63 - the mods are well known, but I'm not sure that they are really worth doing these days, when you can buy CD players with optical connections, and really cheap amps. The CD-63 mods were done to get a really good CD player at a knock-down price, but that was some time ago.

:joker: :joker: :joker: :joker: :joker:

He must be right, as my £100 delta 290, and £150 cd-63 (so far), sound vastly superior to the £800 arcam combo i demo'd my speakers on ;)

That bloke is a Philostein and a noob.

He has never listened to a well modded cd63. foolish person.

Brent

I had my system on all day yesterday the more I listened the more I was in awe.
The CD63 has been out of my system for sometime been using a moded CD80. And I can say now that the CD63 has realy steped up the fact that the highs are much more enjoyable with some female vocals before they were hard to listen to even Lyle Lovett witch they record a little top heavy didn't sound harsh. And the best is yet to come I have been working on my new speakers for sometime now and I am all most finished so I can't wait because if the cheep ones that I am using now sound this good I sould be in for a real treat when I am done with my new ones.

P.S. I wish I was at home listening to music and not at work.

Regards

Dave