Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Desejos de um óptimo ano Novo de 2010.

A Crise está instalada e por aqui vamos sentir o seu real impacto durante este ano mas naturalmente os valores vão prevalecer.

Saúde, Amor, Felicidade e Prosperidade são os meus desejos para todos.

Happy New Year for all :)

Best regards

Ricardo

I was thinking of that full copper KI special, and were do you think they are not the same VA rating? I guess that's at the +/-12V? Why would they uprate the 5V drivers/servo ICs for best cheap sonic impact?
BTW, anyone to point some AC/DC PCB to set rectifiers and smoothing caps? A good stand alone PSU may help my CD-43's TX to cool down and sound hot (DOS inside).

OK, now that you said this it make sens to me, as my regulated +/-10 in my tiny CD-43 does not make the super-fast tracking it made on a former CD-52 MkII.
So do you think it is usefull to :
add a PSU for the DOS, ( I know that is ;) )
add the +/-12V lines, now unloaded, in // to the +/-10 ones?
Add them at AC or at DC if it make sens?

Thanks,
Matthieu

Dear gentlemen;
i could use some help optimizing the ground-layout on my CD63. As i really don't now where to start and like to keep thing simple, what do you think are the most effective corrections to the ground i could perform?
As i don't know what i'm doing here i would appreciate a very detailed description or a drawing maybe (which connections/bridges to remove, cut, or run seperate wires to..)?
Or would you advise to leave everything as it is...?

Best regrads,
Mickie

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Dear gentlemen;
i could use some help optimizing the ground-layout on my CD63. As i really don't now where to start and like to keep thing simple, what do you think are the most effective corrections to the ground i could perform?
As i don't know what i'm doing here i would appreciate a very detailed description or a drawing maybe (which connections/bridges to remove, cut, or run seperate wires to..)?
Or would you advise to leave everything as it is...?

Best regrads,
Mickie

Did you perform any mods on this cdp ?

...thank you shepperd, i have been doing this extensively; the more i read, the more i got confused. I was hoping to find some minor but effective changes i could do before i run every ground-pin of all IC's to this "star-ground". I'm aware that chances are high to worsen it all...

@Rcruz: Yes, I'm about to run the full program of mods (clocks, regs, DOS, Black Gates, you name it...); i had an extensively modded CD-67 and switchted now over to a 63....to have a fresh start and in the end maybe a better sounding CDP.
The only thing i never got into, is this ground-thing...

Best regards,
Mickie

@shepperd: No, you're ok, i should have made myself clearer...sorry.

Allright then, this ground related stuff is over my head, I'll leave it alone then.
I once had this effect on my CD67 which got better with every modification and then, the more i did, the mods apperared to "eat themselves" and things got worse again. No need to repeat that.
Regards,
Mickie

I'd tend to agree that it can get very messy and, along with coax runs, I'd leave the ground tweaks till the end if possible. It's possible to run extra ground "jumpers" to some central star-point without cutting anything. If your soldering's good and you're very careful you shouldn't break anything. Cutting the original ground traces is the ultimate aim but you'd have to be braver than I.

Someone did once suggest a couple of very specific "fixes" to the ground layout and I tried these on one player. I think it made a little difference but I can't remember the specific advice that chap gave.

Simon

OK, now that you said this it make sens to me, as my regulated +/-10 in my tiny CD-43 does not make the super-fast tracking it made on a former CD-52 MkII.
So do you think it is usefull to :
add a PSU for the DOS, ( I know that is ;) )
add the +/-12V lines, now unloaded, in // to the +/-10 ones?
Add them at AC or at DC if it make sens?

Thanks,
Matthieu

I'm sure a separate PSU, including transformer, will provide audible gains for your DOS.

The CD52 uses a different transport and chipset, and also a bigger transformer and similarly unregulated servo driver rails.

I don't think you can add those lines in parallel. Simply use each line to run different things. The 20V line could be regulated down to 5V or 12V and then to 5V afterwards (slightly better perhaps!) to feed some digital stuff.

Simon

Hi Simon,
in fact I meant CD-53 ;)
I've had a look at the PSU layout, seems one can feed the 2x 9V AC (I think of a 14VA 2x12V) via the fuses. Open on main side and insert your favorite TX at player side! If you have good parts here for regulating and such no need of more than a TX. I still wonder what to do with screen wire (R-Core type), with the in/out wire of each winding to ground?

For those who want to find cheap R-Core TXs, e.g. one for drivers and one for DOS ;)
http://www.selectronic.fr/article.asp?article_ref_entier=11.7966-2
http://www.selectronic.fr/article.asp?article_ref_entier=11.7966-3

Last edited: