Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

"In the buffer I have added a current sink, replacing the 1.8k resistor. This is an addition of another 2SK170BL and a couple of resistors."

I do not see this current sink in Ray´s schematic.... can you please elucidate ?

I do not believe this board can fit inside my CDP.... can I mod the existing DOS ?

Hi Ricardo,

The DOS-CFP page is still under construction, and the schematic only shows the added transistors in the input stage, which is the essence of the CFP version.

The 1k8 resistor may be replaced by a current source. It was added later and can be applied to the original DOS circuit as well. I hope to update it soon with some text on Steve's new board and I will put up a specific schematic of it.

Regards,

Ray

The input stage and output transistor are directly coupled, so any variation of the input stage current will have an effect on the operation point of the output transistor. The current source makes the operating point of the output transistor independent of the input stage. It will set the current to 10mA, whatever the input stage does.

I want to draw a new schematic anyway, so when do, i'll do some simulations with and without CCS, to see if there's less distortion.

Ray

Okay, here's a schematic as requested.

Current Sink.gif

The input stage and output transistor are directly coupled, so any variation of the input stage current will have an effect on the operation point of the output transistor. The current source makes the operating point of the output transistor independent of the input stage. It will set the current to 10mA, whatever the input stage does.

I want to draw a new schematic anyway, so when do, i'll do some simulations with and without CCS, to see if there's less distortion.

Ray

Allready done, check THIS , Figure 15A/B/C and Table 3. And with 0.1mA through JFET's they don't know if they are barely alive or barely dead :D

Dear Friends,

I have a CD 63 SE and wil fry some of the modifications mentioned. One of my pressing problems is the laser lens VAM 12.2 which is presently available mostly chinese one they dont last.ne spare I had last was from malaysia and it sure had some quality.Any place I can get a good laser pickup??

Regards
Ajit

Probably not...admitedly 1500 pages is a lot to read. Try looking at Ray's site (just above, "6h5c") and Roemeister's. That will give you a good idea of where things stand at the moment.It's an on-going process, although it may have been taken as far as is sanely possible. (I hope this is not the case since I also have the 67')

Thanks for the reply 6h5c's site is quite interesting, what worries me is component obscelecence and the possibility of there now being half dozen variants of same componet as much of the information is now 10 years or so old and the information that's there isn't concise enough for some of the mods as some of the information is written such that may only be understood by someome who has already done the mods (possibly why this post is so long), I also worry that some of the opamp upgrades may not be a straight forward swap.
I was amused by a statement at the bottom of Roemeisters site "why spend hundreds of punds on a new player when you can upgrade your existing player" (for hundreds of pounds :rolleyes: )

Tom

If that's the board from Steve, I worked out the following component list for the CD67.

Haven't built it yet though.

Left Value

C1, C2 4n7
C11, C12 100nf
C3, C4 1n5
C8 220n
C9, C10 1u5
L1, L2 10mH
R1, R2 2k4
R10 47k
R11 22r
R12 470k