Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:
Hi Brent,

I don't think you can run the decoder on its own separate clock. The decoder and DAC-clock would be out of sync, and there's datalines running between them. What you could try is running the decoder directly off the clock's output, instead of using the DAC's CKO pin.

Regards,

Ray.

Good thinking RAY.

Would a resistor be needed or just directly coupled, not messed with clocks much.

Also would I benefit from the servo clock being changed has this does have an independent crystal. 8mhz

philpoole said:
Beat me to it Ray,
Must type quicker.

Is the clock divided down by the DAC at all? If so, you would have problems feeding the two. If not, might be a really good mod.

The decoder is 16.9Mhz same has the DAC :)

philpoole said:

Probably okay. CKO on the DAC is quoted as 384Fs in the service manual.
Might be a good mod then.
Also divide the clock down to feed the servo. As long as the clock can fan out enough. Might work for some clocks and not others.

Not done that before but I pressume a flip flop of some sort would do this.

Ill run both i/p off same clock first and see how it goes.

rowemeister said:

Not done that before but I pressume a flip flop of some sort would do this.

Ill run both i/p off same clock first and see how it goes.

Yep. I posted a flipflop circuit some time ago. ( to divide the dac clock 16.9344 to 8.46 for the servo)

What about digital noise transfer back to the DAC.? You would need to have a buffer.

Design would have to right as you could introduce more noise / jitter into the dac

Andy

poynton said:

Yep. I posted a flipflop circuit some time ago. ( to divide the dac clock 16.9344 to 8.46 for the servo)

What about digital noise transfer back to the DAC.? You would need to have a buffer.

Design would have to right as you could introduce more noise / jitter into the dac

Andy

I'll look further into this clock sharing malarky. And just buy a nice clock for servo anyway

philpoole said:

Don't have any diagrams, but (I assume it is an exact divide by 2) you simply take a D type FlipFlip, the Clock signal goes into CLK, ^Q is wired to D and Q is the new divided output.
Its fairly stragihtforward, and another opportunity for a voltage regulator.:D

Yes thats the only reason I want to do it. lol

6h5c said:
:D Yes, I was first! :smash:

No, the clock is not divided, only buffered by two internal inverters.
So the output CKO is in phase with the input XTI. Should work.
What if we cut the power supply to the internal inverters and use CKO as input? Or will the inverter's output circuit not like that?

Regards,

Ray.

It would work if the inverters were tristate output. You could buffer with a noninverting gate reducing the 'chipcount'.

It does depend on the output of the clock used .

Andy

poynton said:

Andy

Do the servo, and decoder actually need to be in sync ?

I thought the servo just needed a 192fs, 256fs or 384fs clock!

http://www.arky.ru/audio/sprav/datasheets/tda1301.pdf

ash_dac said:

Do the servo, and decoder actually need to be in sync ?

I thought the servo just needed a 192fs, 256fs or 384fs clock!

http://www.arky.ru/audio/sprav/datasheets/tda1301.pdf

Hi. No, they do not need to be in sync - hence why they have separate clocks in the original.

The servo requires a clock of 8.46 MHz which does not need to be particularly accurate - just stable.

It just seems a 'better' solution to use 7474 and 7404 to get the clock. I would find it hard to justify another clock module when the clock is already available.

Andy

I sent an email to Audiocom yesterday asking if their clock can run 2 ic's ok.

Hi Brent, Superclock 2 outputs a square wave. I see no reason why it could not run two IC's, no additional buffering is required. I have not used Superclock 2 in the configuration you suggest so the above confirmation is accurate to the best of my knowledge but not conclusive. Kind Regards, Mark Bartlett

I'll give it a try, just waiting for my new Cable Talk The Reference RCA cable to arrive and see what that does for my ears.

It was £200 new apparently :xeye:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cable-Talk-Th...2216468QQcategoryZ295QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I paid this for it....which is nice

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cable-Talk-Re...2789943QQcategoryZ295QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Hi Brent,

I agree it should be able to drive two or three inputs, but I think Andy was suggesting that if you had a buffer as well, then you should also have more of a chance to reduce noise interference between the two destinations.
Should be worth a try. Its easy to do an initial quick test without the buffering first though - as Audiocom have confirmed it possible.

Cheers,

Phil

awpagan said:
brent
? what clock are you using?

tent XO3 has 3 outputs
Lcaudio has 2 outputs

allan

Its the Audiocom superclock II

Attachments

• superclock2.jpg
    superclock2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 481
Super-clock 2

Hi rowemeister.

You can feed the dac and decoder from the super-clock 2, I've done it before and theres someone on pinkfishmedia who has just done the same thing to a naim cd3. I came out of the clock output into 2 20r resistors and fed the dac as usual and the decoder via u193. The gains were subtle but audible.

A better mod for the super-clock 2 is on pinkfish aswell, it was posted by ALW.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18014&page=2

This one's worth the effort:D

Mags.

Re: Super-clock 2

Mags said:
Hi rowemeister.

You can feed the dac and decoder from the super-clock 2, I've done it before and theres someone on pinkfishmedia who has just done the same thing to a naim cd3. I came out of the clock output into 2 20r resistors and fed the dac as usual and the decoder via u193. The gains were subtle but audible.

A better mod for the super-clock 2 is on pinkfish aswell, it was posted by ALW.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18014&page=2

This one's worth the effort:D

Mags.

Whooo nice one. I'll have a good read

Brent

I have PART DEUX to my star earthing coming up...

So far I have all my psu and regs gnd to the star and got better bass.
I now have to sort the gnds around the DAC Decoder and Servo.

I know we have talked about it before but here is a list/note for myself of the points I think I will tackle.

CD63 points for sperate ground

DAC

Pin2 = XVSS - use U203 and run to star

Pin15 = DVSS - Cut track near pin + CD06 isolating it and run to star

Pin19 + 24 = AVSS - U197-198 run to star

Decoder

Pin12 = VSSA - Cut track isolating it between pin11 + 12 , wire to star

Pin34-43 + 16 = VSS/VSS2 - Use track between pin22 + 23 for gnd to star

Servo

Pin3 = VSSA - U145 to star

Pin21 = VSSD - Cut track near U145 + earth from pin15 to star.

:smash: