Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

I'm sure Lee has found this a problem much more than me but it seems the SA7372 hold back the CD67 and also the CD17. After plenty of mods this chip just seems to strangle/hold back the audio. Lee may explain better has he has been trying hard to get this chip to sing.

Brent

Agree. I switched from 67 to 63 as I felt the 67 always sounded strangled and dynamically wierd no matter how much I modded it. The 63 seems to have a magic, even when stock, that if you're careful stays with it as you patch up its weaknesses. And regulating the servos is a must do as I've always said, you'll never get the bass right otherwise.

rowemeister said:
Glenn I agree it's a bit clinical mainly due to the rubbish caps used. Yes the original psu gets red hot and I have had a few customers say the psu has come apart.

How much was the 36VA mappo tx and do you have a part number

Brent

The Maplin part number is L54BR.

It's twice as big and twice as heavy so is one of those that's in the middle of the cable. Too big for a plug-top. 12VAC@3A.
I measured the output voltages for both units, open cct and under DM load (remember at 250VAC input in my flat).

Stock: 15V / 14.5V
Mappo: 14.9V / 14.6V

So no danger of the DM running any hotter due to higher rectified voltage. It's a safe fit-and-forget purchase at only £15.99. I unclipped the ferrite from the CA one and put it on the Mappo one.

Or you can pay Ru$$ Andrew$ £99 for one the same size as the original!

rowemeister said:
Nice one. I was looking at building my own for them with iec socket etc and better cable. I'll see what this one sounds like.

RA is a rip off merchant as we know

Brent

Interesting testimonial though. Cambridge should be recalling these PSUs surely?

Attachments

• ra-psu.jpg
    ra-psu.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 142
rowemeister said:
Hi Ray

The C2 was shipped last week. Hoping you would get it today :(
I can supply you with some oscillators yes, i've never ordered 8.4672 though which may mean ordering 100+ lol

Brent

Well, maybe it's on the doormat this afternoon, exciting!! :yes:

Could you see if the 8.4672 can be obtained in small quantities? If it's 10+ for a reasonable price, i'd be willing to take all 10. But 100 is a bit too much...

If it's not possible i'll settle for 2x 16.9344 and 2x 33.8688. You wouldn't happen to have 2x 24.576 too?

Just PM me with total price and i'll PP you, thanks mate!

Ray

Hi everybody,
Because I recently have 67SE and I'm currently on "half way" modding
"highway", I got couple of questions for more experienced guys.....

First of all,.....after disabling HDAM, headphone circuit, muting circuit and upgrading some caps (mostly in power supply)....(2114 is still "on board", waiting for 2604)........I can hear some noise in stop or pause mode, in play mode also, but "covered" with sound,......much more present, (nearly like noise on phono input!!!) than before (but generally with much better sound)!
Also, I'm afraid, that some parasite signals are present in analog output......when I turned off CD, I can hear some "cracks", like power supply caps "getting empty".....(sorry about my English!).

Please, let me get that noise, out of sound!

Thanks in advance and best regards!

jhmee9 said:
Hi everybody,
Because I recently have 67SE and I'm currently on "half way" modding
"highway", I got couple of questions for more experienced guys.....

First of all,.....after disabling HDAM, headphone circuit, muting circuit and upgrading some caps (mostly in power supply)....(2114 is still "on board", waiting for 2604)........I can hear some noise in stop or pause mode, in play mode also, but "covered" with sound,......much more present, (nearly like noise on phono input!!!) than before (but generally with much better sound)!
Also, I'm afraid, that some parasite signals are present in analog output......when I turned off CD, I can hear some "cracks", like power supply caps "getting empty".....(sorry about my English!).

Please, let me get that noise, out of sound!

Thanks in advance and best regards!

Firstly please do not use the OPA2604. It is a very hard edged and in your face opamp and will not suit the CD67 especially after removing the HDAM

Have you fitted a clock? The noises you hear maybe pickup from the clock by either getting onto the rails through the psu or from pickup off of a wire on the clock.

The other popping,clicking & dc discharge noises can be sorted out by adding relay muting (this does not have an adverse affect on the audio)

Brent

Thanks guys for quick reply!;)

@SimontY:
No, :), 67SE is hooked on pre-amp ONIX OA24 (+SOAP2), power-amp ONIX OA601 and Castle Clifton 2 speakers!
Actually, noise is audible when you got ear right on the tweeter,
and as I said, sounds like "less noise" phono input.
Maybe.... that's the reason why is now sound so "open" :D

@rowemeister:
Thanks for advice,....I will skip 2604! What about LM6172?
No, I didn't "touch" the clock, that's still far away for me in this project!
Maybe later!

@Malefoda:
Thanks,.....I'll try LM4562!

Thanks again,...to all of You!;)