Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

OT
That nice Inspire Hifi turntable we have been involved with is almost ready and here is the final production item for anyone who is interested.

PIC1 PIC2

I went to the audition this deck (without the platform) with Lee and were both blown away. I have never heard a deck sound like a high end well modded cd player before. It's the first deck i've enjoyed tbh

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The TT looks fine to me.

What is the platter weight and what is it made of ?

It is funny to know people are discovering TT sound only after reaching high grounds on digital path... I did it the other way... ;)

TT sounds right indeed, I believe it is because we have loads of info above 20khz not present on CD.

Timing is also easier to control in a TT (Just use a low friction bearing, a low cogging motor and lots of dumped mass)

Ricardo

I don't know the exact weight of the platter but it's 35mm thick acrylic and the bearing is precision made in a small factory where they build small locomotive engines. You can hold the bearing in your hand and spin the platter and you get bored before it stops spinning. The base is made from 25mm acrylic. The tone arm plate is made from 20mm machined aluminium (different plates for different arms).

Every aspect of this deck was engineered to a very high standard.

I'll get more details soon.

Brent

Hi Brent,

cd was working well during the weekend, but I took a look at the trace at U193 -> signal is low and looks messy, I am reverting to mkI - just for diy fun :)

well, the whole thing is bit strange to me, in other schematics, it's either a separate XO circuit or MCLK resistor driving the decoder chip...

btw, how much weight do you put on the puck ? with me , some is necessary, otherwise there are noises coming from the mech & puck assembly-> doesnt work smooth, if you know what I mean :)

greetings,
pawel

pzogal said:
Hi Brent,

cd was working well during the weekend, but I took a look at the trace at U193 -> signal is low and looks messy, I am reverting to mkI - just for diy fun :)

well, the whole thing is bit strange to me, in other schematics, it's either a separate XO circuit or MCLK resistor driving the decoder chip...

btw, how much weight do you put on the puck ? with me , some is necessary, otherwise there are noises coming from the mech & puck assembly-> doesnt work smooth, if you know what I mean :)

greetings,
pawel

I used a coin that fits best on the puck with a little glue.

Did you use a X10 probe for the clock?

Brent

no, I used just 1x

regarding puck, same with me, I have a coin, too :)

ok, I did the mkI mod yesterday and it didnt work, decoder had problems with spindle motor, at least one could judge based on the noises of the mech :)
reverted back to mkII at it worked... strange
well, it's ok for me , cd works. I was just curious about the clk delivery to the decoder chip... it has to be probably in some certain phase regarding dac clk

next, I'll connect the divide by 2 to the servo, already had that but when cd stopped working I reverted a lot...

greetings,
pawel

New toy, same game:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm happy having factory lid vents and Cerafine wich were not in my former CD53, late Mk I.
Useless stuff will be gone in few minutes, spare crap caps from my Mk I on this one -if bigger caps- around DAC or such while make up my mind on what-to-do-where to make it the " Deep Impact Bass Machine " or the "Funky Rythm Bass Dude". At least I won't ask the same stupid questions as the first times I went here ;) Ricardo stole my title of the world's best CD53, I'm back guys! (oh who said "oh my God not him!" ???)

New Toy and new game:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Another story...