Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

No Problem Ian!

I remember being there myself (not that long ago!) and the guys on this thread were and still are supremely supportive.

You got the bug now! Get some ZA's on those amps (if you've not done so already) and bypass the hdam! you'll move on another level, then you can start on the supplies!!! trust me, the more you get, the more you'll want!

I'm glad to have now helped someone else :D

Ian

I got the bug sat up till 3am!! David Gray, Stevie Wonder, Guns'n'Roses and Michael Buble all Much improved :D

Played St Germain much less improvement, better but not as much as the others:( I put that down to complex electro jazz needs really good timing.

So this morning in went za's back onto Germain :D Getting there still work to do (decorating) :(

Later the smoothers and shottky's are going in might even bypass HDAM feeling more confident now :D

Thanks guys Ian :D :D :D

Hi Guys

Cd surgery is now open once again ;)

Can anyone advise on fitting the shottkeys the originals are half blue half black the shottkeys are mostly black with a grey ring around.

Please dont reply stripe positive or similar as this won't help:xeye:

A reply like, the grey ring fits where the blue side is on originals is more like my intelligence levels:eek:

In the mean time HDAM will become history:smash:

Many thanks Ian

Update:D

HDAM :smash: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Am i hearing things on Erykah Badu i didn't hear before??
Some warmth has gone leaving a much more detail and realism, i listened to this album before surgery even my housemate (very skeptical) has agreed this player is now very different to before.

I'm actually stunned how much it's opened up opamps, 4 caps and bypass :bigeyes: unbelievable:D

And there is about another 95% to go if you want to!

I love what the 63/67 can give. As people know I upgrade all sorts of wonderful cd players, they all improve massively with upgrades. Some only get so far then fail to improve much further, not the 63/67.

Take your time, understand what you are doing and don't break it (breaking it will dishearten you) and you will have a cd player that sounds fantastic.

Brent

Cheers guys

Had another stab at it tonight aiming for the psu caps and 4 shottkeys near by :( Couln't get those big *** caps out :bawling:

With the broken track on opamps fresh in my mind......
Re-soldered, put it back in its box, powered up.... still amazed!!

Won't be able to play again till sat:bawling:
Gonna get me some flux and try braid :angel:

Cheers all Ian

Simons right! This big caps could well be glued.

Make sure all the solder is completely removed before you are a little more firm with getting the cap out.

That braid I sent you is prefluxed and so once its all hot the solder should run into the braid. Don't try to use the same bit twice. Once its got hot the flux will burn off and it won't work as efficiently. Remove from one side of the pin the to the other using a fresh bit of braid.

Take a look at this video (not meaning to be condescending) it will show you. A picture tells a thousand words!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcbezX8TrOU

Keep trying and you'll get there! You'll be ace at getting the player to bits tho!! :smash:

small update

well, regarding my problems with skipping, now the player is dead :(

I reinstalled original servo clock and put LM regs (+-7V) for servo (removed U161,U162,U150,U149 - input for LM317/337) - no change. Connected scope and saw that the voltage drops a lot on the input - with the result that Ray's clock connected to +10 unregulated probably couldnt operate. Next I connected clock psu lines to C803,804 to ensure that the clock works. CD worked for a while and then the sled moved to the end of the shaft (it used to behave like that after some mods). In the end I measured voltage drop between + and - on the servo opamps - around 1V - chips are dead :( I suppose they had problems earlier as well as I had this focus or radial coil oscillating on some cds. Anyway, I am going to replace them and see what happens.
For those interested, one can source TCA0372DP2 at www.fibra-brandt.com or www.segor.de.
Right now I am listening on an old sony cdp750 with tda1541 sourced from ebay for 8€ :) - still unmodded but it will be!
And CAT7 ICs with some neutrik plugs do make an improvement!

Greetings,
PAwel