Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
DECODER PSU

Hi everybody.....;) ;) ;)

I just finished and installed a decoder psu. After a long study and the input I received from all of you, here are my final choices:

2x9V 7VA TX

4x hexfred + 2200uF Pana FC + LM340AT-5 for the digital rails Pin 15 and 44. (this one decoupled with a 220uF ZA)

4x hexfred + 2 x 470uF BG std + 2x LM340AT-5, (one reg for pin 11 decoupled with a 220uF BG std and the other reg for the HF/RF on R505 also decoupled with a 220uF BG std on C504)

I used Brent´s wonderfull psu pcb´s.... this made everything faster and fuss free.

I must wait for everything to settle but I can already hear some very important changes: Attack on acoustic string instruments like guitar or bass is much faster.

I can now hear more detail in the metal dishes of the drums.

Bass is fullbodyied and powerfull but with more edge attack.

Hope the burning will integrate everything again and bring female voice back to normal sweet state (now a bit edgy).

But the best difference is in the size of the soundstage... now it is almost on par with the TT. (I believe that the subliminar high freq info, now aparent, helps a lot in recreating a vivid, focused and life size sound presentation.) (Simon - as usual you were right).

Once more I did it succefully at first time...:D I seem to be getting good at this...:yes:

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Luke said:
Hi Ricardo,

whats the LM340AT-5 about? From looking at the datasheets they look like an indestructible 7805. do they sound better or do you just happen to have a few?

They sound much much better.... almost as good as the 317.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• p1010037 final glueing (small).jpg
    p1010037 final glueing (small).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 294
Joined 2006
Paid Member
hotiron said:

:bigeyes: Jees Ricardo How do you manage to get the board out and back without
breaking it!!!!:hot:
Fortunately, this last mod did not require pcb removal...:D

SimontY said:
Ricardo, you've done some stunning work there, you must be very proud!

I've been busy this weekend, working on things to bring other areas closer to my CD63 :D

Hi Simon

I am quite proud right now.... and I feel rewarded.... lots of work and so little time ;)

What other areas are you working on now ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just reporting....

From my listening sessions during this weekend, I can assure you that isolating the decoder brings UGE gains in detail, improves sound stage enourmously, adds speed and control to all frequencies and there is a big reduction in noise.

It seems to me that there is a lot less skipping.... better control of the servo action....

In big chorus pieces (Mozart - Requiem "Rex tremendae"), I can now perfectly distinguish the several voice arrangements with a lot less mixture.

In heavy rock (Steve Vay), the guitar has all the needed "edge".

Female voices (Liza Ekdall, Tori Amos, Laurie Anderson, Clã) are now sweet and very detailed.

Now this player really sings... I am rediscovering my CD collection.

I wonder what should it sound like with an overall spower "treatment" :D :D :D

Finally I have a High End CDP.... Took me less than 500€ and I gained loads of knowledge.

Ricardo

My power amps also got a treat - to replace a p00py little brown Elna coupling cap - a Mundorf Supreme :D

Worth every penny these babies, I might even try to afford some more for my CD63.

I also put a Lee prototype power cable on my CD player, which gave a pleasing boost to detail, space, naturalness and bass quality.

Simon

Attachments

• in_place.jpg
    in_place.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 429
Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
I enjoyed your latest review Ricardo, but I can't help wondering if this final talk is really the end.... ;)

I treated my CD63 to a new interconnect I knocked up yesterday (took aaages).

Oh, it's good, beating my previous copper one and maybe even beating these solid cu connectors & Kimber 4TC we tried!

Hi Simon

This is the end of my last mod.... not the end of all mods.... After all this knowledge retrieval, I got really hooked.

I just can not stop.... I believe my next mod will be upgrading the meridian 101 with some +-15v spowers.

Next I will build a jfet phono RIAA as per Salas design.

I also want to build a DIY Armageddon for my TT.

And last but not least, my speakers need a revamp.....

So much to do and so little time (€€€) :snail:

I am glad to know you are not idling also, Power cables can really make a big difference.
Two weeks ago I installed a dedicated Supra low rad 2.5mm2 power cable in my power amp and I am still recovering from the surprise..... Faster transients, lower distortion, bigger soundstage..... amazing :smash: :smash: :smash:

Regards

Ricardo

Hi chaps,

This powerpoint file caught my eye.

Seems to answer a few questions some of us had about grounding around the DAC.

Note that supply currents for SM5872BS are:
Digital - 15mA
Clock - 3ma
Analog - 1ma

Seems to back up what Illimz was saying (before you lot scared him off!).

Nice to have it explained in a Sesame Street fashion with lots of diagrams.

Glenn

Edit: It's from Analog Devices, who know a thing or two about DACs.