Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

Hi Ray

Yes I had to use the groundplane!!!

I am how ever looking into a star earth senario where all my regs go to one spot. Just enjoying it at the mo.

Brent

Hi.

As your cd-p is so modded, it would be interesting to know whether altering the earthing arrangements would make a noticable audible difference. You are probably in the last 1% band !!!!

Andy

poynton said:

Hi.

As your cd-p is so modded, it would be interesting to know whether altering the earthing arrangements would make a noticable audible difference. You are probably in the last 1% band !!!!

Andy

I agree. Its something I will be sorting soon. Making an earth point for my regs will be easy, but I will need to look further into the other ground points.

May have to have two ground points joined depending on layout. :smash:

I also want it to look good so ill not rush it.

rowemeister said:

Yes it is, not sure it made any difference but it never caused any ill effects either.

Brent

earthed to grd on iec plug?

the grd plane not earthed same point, then earth for ground plane
and all else goes to earth via (through) transformer then neutral plug.

is your neutral connected to earth at switch board (fuse box)?

if not earth at substation.

would be very interesting experiment.

allan

awpagan said:

earthed to grd on iec plug?

the grd plane not earthed same point, then earth for ground plane
and all else goes to earth via (through) transformer then neutral plug.

is your neutral connected to earth at switch board (fuse box)?

if not earth at substation.

would be very interesting experiment.

allan

I have IEC socked earthed to chassis and U201 @ the RCA output (like Ray)

Im not aware my neutral is earthed @ my fuse box, not looked.
Its probably done at the substation

Brent

quote:
Originally posted by mickie

................. maybe other currencies are more suitable.................

Hi.

Keep the pound.... we need it to repair our cd-p's!!!!

That's one other mod I didn't mention.
My clamp is full of blutac, topped off with a 1921 old penny. Its about 1.5 inches diameter, copper (although even then it was probably an alloy of some sort) and rather heavy. :)
I thought it could be quite cool/quirky to have some 1920's technology in my CD player ;) No valves though:(

Tried keeping the back panel fixed last night. It is much trickier. Will try filing down the lugs on the sides. I guess its not too important, if the cables to the phonos get damaged, I can easily rewire them and do it properly when everything else is done.

rowemeister said:

I have IEC socked earthed to chassis and U201 @ the RCA output (like Ray)

Im not aware my neutral is earthed @ my fuse box, not looked.
Its probably done at the substation

Brent

U201 is the earth point for the whole pcb, then to chassis earth.

put your meter across neutral and earth and see if you read anything
maybe mV's (warning only if tech)

i've seen 5vac:eek:

allan

philpoole said:

I thought it could be quite cool/quirky to have some 1920's technology in my CD player ;) No valves though:(

Tried keeping the back panel fixed last night. It is much trickier. Will try filing down the lugs on the sides. I guess its not too important, if the cables to the phonos get damaged, I can easily rewire them and do it properly when everything else is done.

Nice one! Did the extra weight make it spin quieter, read any discs better or sound better? Or anything negative? :2c:

Hmm, I can't work out why it's so hard to slot my back panel in when it's connected to the pcb, but I intend to attack those lugs. :smash:

philpoole said:

My clamp is full of blutac, topped off with a 1921 old penny. Its about 1.5 inches diameter, copper (although even then it was probably an alloy of some sort) and rather heavy. :)

I haven't seen a penny for over ***years:xeye:
family came out when i was 5.

how much does it weight?

there are upgrades on the cd-pro2 with heavier platers

allan

philpoole said:

Undo the screws to the optical , coax and remote slightly. You wont have to file lugs off then.

awpagan said:

U201 is the earth point for the whole pcb, then to chassis earth.

put your meter across neutral and earth and see if you read anything
maybe mV's (warning only if tech)

i've seen 5vac:eek:

allan

Yes and no. When screwed in the rear panel is connected to pcb gnd via the rca , coax and remote connectors .

But I do have a wire running from this point to IEC earth

Brent

Nice one! Did the extra weight make it spin quieter, read any discs better or sound better? Or anything negative?

Hmm, I can't work out why it's so hard to slot my back panel in when it's connected to the pcb, but I intend to attack those lugs.

Good question. I thought it made good sense to do, so thought it was worth a punt. It definitely doesn't degrade anything. I used to have some problems accessing CDRs, I admit I'll have to try that again. I did the mod maybe a couple of months ago and have only really listened to originals.

I still have problems with the back panel, but its not a complete nightmare. It is tolerable (ish). Its definitely not as easy as removing it.

I haven't seen a penny for over ***years
family came out when i was 5.

how much does it weight?

there are upgrades on the cd-pro2 with heavier platers

allan

I'll see if I can get some photos at some point. Its an old penny, I don't know when they went out of circulation (I guess when decimalisation occured, bit before my time)
Off the top of my head (if I'd known this would of caused interest, I would have measured it) its about 30-35 mm diameter and must be a millimetre or so thick. It is heavy. I'll weigh one at some point. It is wider than a £2 coin (probably not much help for allan ther) and probably the same weight (it is thinner).

I have a tin of old coins and was thinking of a weight to use. I was thinking of an old foreign coin with a hole in the middle (lots of scandinavian and spanish coins are/were like that, amongst others) then I spotted a british coin that was older than the lot. Nostalgia took precedence in that decision. I think anything like a £2 coin would be similar.

Anyway, steered the thread through other hifi and now coin collection. I'm bad for off thread stuff. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

I need to show some photos at some point of the work done....

philpoole said:

Good question. I thought it made good sense to do, so thought it was worth a punt. It definitely doesn't degrade anything. I used to have some problems accessing CDRs, I admit I'll have to try that again. I did the mod maybe a couple of months ago and have only really listened to originals.

I still have problems with the back panel, but its not a complete nightmare. It is tolerable (ish). Its definitely not as easy as removing it.

I'll see if I can get some photos at some point. Its an old penny, I don't know when they went out of circulation (I guess when decimalisation occured, bit before my time)
Off the top of my head (if I'd known this would of caused interest, I would have measured it) its about 30-35 mm diameter and must be a millimetre or so thick. It is heavy. I'll weigh one at some point. It is wider than a £2 coin (probably not much help for allan ther) and probably the same weight (it is thinner).

I have a tin of old coins and was thinking of a weight to use. I was thinking of an old foreign coin with a hole in the middle (lots of scandinavian and spanish coins are/were like that, amongst others) then I spotted a british coin that was older than the lot. Nostalgia took precedence in that decision. I think anything like a £2 coin would be similar.

Anyway, steered the thread through other hifi and now coin collection. I'm bad for off thread stuff. Sorry.
:rolleyes:

I need to show some photos at some point of the work done....

The £2 coin is the same size as the 1 euro coin

Brent