Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
Another question rose right now:

Comparing Brents discrete layout with Ray´s, I see that Brent used The following values in the filter (C3 680p) (R3 2.2k) and lowered the gain using R7=R8=820ohm.

What was your choice of values Simon ?

Regards

Ricardo

Gain of the discrete stage is reduced slightly to compensate for higher filter output. The gain of the entire circuit remains about the same; the 820 ohm goes hand-in-hand with the different values in the filter (values between brackets, see discrete PDF).

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Gain of the discrete stage is reduced slightly to compensate for higher filter output. The gain of the entire circuit remains about the same; the 820 ohm goes hand-in-hand with the different values in the filter (values between brackets, see discrete PDF).

Ray

Thank you so much Ray.

Now I feel confident to start building the discrete.

After populating the PCB, is there a easy way to know if it is working, before I install it in the CDP ?

I always feel very gratefull for the feedback I get in this thread.

Regards

Ricardo

Before the output dc blocking cap, the reading should be around 6-7volts.

Just to update everyone, I have diy'd some "superregs" and added them to my player. I now have seven "super-regs" of varying kinds in there now. Also added 30va tx to the discrete supply and three smaller tx's for the decoder and servo. The sound is now pretty much awesome, probably about as good as Simon's player (maybe a little better).

Oh, and I must've learned something lately, as I did all that without breaking it, and it's fairly neat too!

Lee.

RCruz said:
Simon
I would really like to know if your filter is like my future one... Much better when I start posting results and everybody uses the same setup.

Sorry Ricardo, I honestly can't remember for sure and I have no notes of it. I'm 99% sure it'll be exactly what's on Ray's original design specification.

The filtering caps I used are 1% tolerance polystyrene.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
It was the one available at the time, I can't really see there being any difference in sound between the two TBH, just two ways of doing it.
Don't worry and build either, you will be impressed.

Hi Brent

I still have two psu pcb to use and would like to build a psu for the decoder and HF amp.

While waiting for the discrete parts, I have been reading your pdf http://www.audioupgrades.co.uk/rmcdmodlist.pdf
Just by reading, I can not determine if you use the same 3.2VA 9V tx for the decoder and the HF.

If you are using the same TX, what winding should I use for the HF amp ?

How many diode bridges did you use in your setup ?

Regards

Ricardo

6h5c said:
That's better. Looks like you killed the cap :headshot: ---> :dead: ---> :RIP:

You only need a few uF for a -3dB corner freq. that's <<10Hz (with a 47k load), but if you want to keep the group-delay low at the low-end, use 10uF minimum. You should roughly double these values for a 22k load.

Ray

Ray
Well, I ended up ordering a pair of the BG 100uf/16v N caps. I also decided to bypass these with a very small teflon cap. I've just gotten things going again, and the sound is even better than before.
I've been keeping up with the thread, Ricardo's progress, and your explanation of the circuit.
The D.O.S. is fabulous!

Steve

Joined 2006
Paid Member
stvnharr said:

Ray
Well, I ended up ordering a pair of the BG 100uf/16v N caps. I also decided to bypass these with a very small teflon cap. I've just gotten things going again, and the sound is even better than before.
I've been keeping up with the thread, Ricardo's progress, and your explanation of the circuit.
The D.O.S. is fabulous!

Hi Steve

What improvements did you notice bypassing the BG ?

Thank you for reading my evolution.... This is really rewarding.

What is DOS ? (Disk Operating System?)

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Hi Steve

What improvements did you notice bypassing the BG ?

Thank you for reading my evolution.... This is really rewarding.

What is DOS ? (Disk Operating System?)

Regards

Ricardo

I think he's referring to the discrete output stage.

I'm also using a blend of caps to good effect, but as a general rule it seems unlikely to work.

I use Black Gate AC with Siemens MKV, a physically massive and silly combination.

I think Lee has tried Mundorf MKP bypassed with Supremes and been happy.

Just Supremes would surely be excellent, but veeeery expensive.... and then you have Supreme silver in oil, silver-gold and even silver-gold in oil, if you want to pay hundreds of Euros :bigeyes:

Also Tony Gee, famous speaker builder, recommends Clarity Cap SA (which I also rate) bypassed with Mundorf Supreme.

I agree with Ray that BG N and similar types seem not too far off decent film caps.

Simon