Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

6h5c said:

I'm glad that's not my player...;)

lol. I suspect it's not as bad as it looks on the pic. Simon's used similar methods to me and I find it looks messier on photo's than in the flesh. I find it really hard to tidily route so many wires to little regs and star ground.

I agree with Simon about the voltage ratings. I use 220uF 35v ZA on 5v digital rails and love 'em.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

Thomo said:
lol. I suspect it's not as bad as it looks on the pic. Simon's used similar methods to me and I find it looks messier on photo's than in the flesh. I find it really hard to tidily route so many wires to little regs and star ground.

LOL, Brent built it last time. Only some of it's my own work. It's messier than normal due to testing, but yes, when you have many extra regs you can't be perfectly neat too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

SimontY said:
I think you'd like it if you heard it though Ray, it's quite heavily modified now! :D

I think I probably will :D.

Thomo said:
lol. I suspect it's not as bad as it looks on the pic.

In real life it will probably look better. With women it's often just the other way around...:clown:

I agree with you all, in real they all looks cleaner, mine look like I've done nothing inside, when I show pics before/fater to friends they say "hum yes but where are the new parts?" but they are everywhere... makes me a bit sad according long hours of work... anyway the sound matters.

If some can have a look here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1399221#post1399221

Thanks guys!

Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

jimh0612 said:
Hi Brent,

Glad to see you active on here again.

My wife, bless her, surprised me with a C1 master clock for Christmas :hug:
(and there was I thinking she was fed up of me spending hours hunched over the dead remains of my original KI and the laptop wading through this thread and PFM until the wee small hours!!)

My question is this. Among my Rayregs I also have an Audiocom superreg (the £17 eBay ones similar size to the clock PCB.)

Iwas thinking of connecting it directly on to the clock pcb near the top.

Should I do this to keep the traces as short as possible?

Also I am going to put in the divide by 2 circuit to reclock the servo, so should the divider have its own reg, or would the same supply be OK?

I don't want to cause any grounding issues.

Cheers
Jim

Nice one ;)

If you look @ the clock you will see the V input track goes thinner. You MUST cut this track when you add a reg. Otherwise the you will be bypassing the reg and could possibly damage the clock. Run both the C1 and divide pcb off 5V.

Seperate regs will always give better gains.

Brent

Bl***y h*ll Simon!!!:bigeyes:

Those wires look like they could power Blackpool illuminations up the road from me!!

Seriously though I always try to use the biggest gauge wire I can to help current flow - what's the point in putting in regs to help give more headroom and then strangling them with tiny wires?

Yep, gonna do it just like that, well, almost! (Tee Hee)

I agree with the point about untidy wires.

My view is get the parts in, make sure it all works OK and then when you've finished tweaking, tidy it all up before closing it all up again.

Only trouble is, as my wife keeps pointing out, I've had no top on the CDP and been tweaking for nearly a year now, and will I ever be finished?

Of course not, cos someone somewhere always has a good idea and I think, yeah, I'll try that!

Still, that's half the fun.

Jim

Clock feed

Yep, I see it.

Thanks Brent.

Remove red lead from clock pcb and keep blue as ground for both clock and reg, or remove blue as well and use reg ground?

(Reg has heavier gauge wire than that supplied with the clock.)

Take the point about separate regs, I should know your mantra by now! Use SuperRayreg for the divider then?

Can't wait to hear the difference!

Jim

Here is something that shows how far the 63/67 can be pushed.

At work I have been upgrading a Bluenote Koala cd player. This cd player has already been heavily modded.The tube output section has been re built Audionote caps and BG caps + 2X 1uF 650V Audionote copper caps for the dc blocking + Tricord clock 4 with never connected psu.
The standard cd player is £2000 and these caps and clock muct have cost a further £600. I have fitted a PSU2 and 2x SPower regs + a handful of BG and ZLH caps.

So we have a cd player thats worth a fair few £££.

It sound very very good as you would expect and is possibly the cd player I have listened too at work.

I brought it home to see what it sounded like over the weekend. It ticks every box, open and dynamic with controlled treble and bass. Just a good cd player. But it just lacked a little something compared to the Marantz, similar details but the 63 just squeezed out those extra fine details, low end bass was very simliar between the two. Both players have a smooth delivery with Krall sounding more silky on the 63. Eric clapton unplugged had a very slight harshness to certain vocals on the bluenote where the 63 never.

There was not alot in the two cd players but it shows a high end player with another £1000 thrown into it was slightly behind the 63.

It made me happy and gives a better indication of where it is at.

I also upgraded a Naim CD5i recently (£800) and I must say I was very disapointed with it, very open but also very brittle. There was no soul to the music at all. After the customer spending a few £££ the upgrades brought it to life. I'll bet most peoples cd63 67 on these forums would beat that Naim CD5i in standard form quite easily. The new cd player £1000 mark is not that good imho

Keep going guys with the 63 67 it's worth every penny.

Brent

SimontY said:

Hi Matthieu,

My CD player was found to be on a par with a modified Naim CD3.5, although they sound quite different. As yours is a bit less modified and the CD5i is nothing like a modded CD3.5 I'd *guess* that you'll be competing well with that model.
Simon

Originally posted by rowemeister (...)
I also upgraded a Naim CD5i recently (£800) and I must say I was very disapointed with it, very open but also very brittle. There was no soul to the music at all. After the customer spending a few £££ the upgrades brought it to life. I'll bet most peoples cd63 67 on these forums would beat that Naim CD5i in standard form quite easily. The new cd player £1000 mark is not that good imho

Keep going guys with the 63 67 it's worth every penny.

Brent

Hi Brent, I've recently asked people if they think that my CD53 was at the same level of a CD5i, wich was the CDP I wanted before upgrading my CD53.

It seems it's ear proven i've made it, even If my mods are not that far as yours (see the state now:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1383410#post1383410

And yes since BG around opamp and your SRegs I find it's now more "full", it has its own soul now: clear, never harsh, full... I'm more in music than "if I can have more this or that...".

I will listen to many other CDP and stuff very soon, I'll try to put it on a scale also. I do think I can beat a CD5i, maybe more.

Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Try it :D

Probably not much difference....
Congratulations on the superregs :happy1:!
Hi Ray

I built the sreg with a 220uF BG STD on the cap amplifier and left it burning during the night with a 11v bench psu.

last night I got 4.94~3 volts but now I am reading 4.81~83 volts.

Does these fluctuations matter ?

In my first reg (built with two red leds and as a normal rayreg) I get 5.01~2 volts without dropping.

Can I use the superreg on the analog ac or should I stick to the normal reg that gives 5.01v ?

Regards

Ricardo