Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
12V PSU TX

Hi

My nuvotem +-18V just arrived.

Can anyone suggest a good way to set it up inside my CD53 ?

The whire collors are a bit confusing... Can you help me sort it out ?

Can I use the following setup?
Red + 18V
Black // Yellow Common Earth
Orange - 18 V

Best Regards

Ricardo

PS: Brent, come back please....:bawling:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The Nuvotem is a RS0030p1-2-018.

The layout I want to use is the one in the picture (Thank you Brent).

Can you please tell me the right wire colors to link as in the layout ?

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• 18v tx layout.jpg
    18v tx layout.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 278
Linking the datasheet might prove helpful:

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0030/0900766b80030cb8.pdf

The primary should be self-expanatory... brown to hot and blue to neutral (I'm from the US, so if I say something wrong for UK, rest of world, someone step in :bigeyes: ).

For the secondaries, you have 2x18V and it appears your PSU is set up for center tapped. Per A,veco's datasheet (http://www.amveco.com/pdf/Amveco_Catalog.pdf#page=25), the secondaries should be wired as you noted with the black and yellow tied together for the "center tap".

Don't suppose anyone would know what causes a -0.65v reading on my dac's left-channel positive output (pin 18) would they?

The negative output reads ~2v which seems ok.

Right channel is perfect.

It would be nice one day to be able to help someone else rather than just always wanting help myself!

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
After modding a Marantz CD63 and a CD67OSE I decided to make a list of all the various mod's I found here and elsewhere on the internet.

Hi Ray

I just replaced the OpAmps and removed the output caps in the CD53.

The Raygulators are in place the voltage is ok.

I am considering the rest of the mods in the output (C659 C660
R655 656 R657 / 658 R659 / 660) but would like to have your input in the two R619 R620..
As the CD53 does not have a HDAM, the entire circuit is replaced by a 10R in each channel.

Should I shunt these or should I wire the pin 7 of each opamp to R659 660 ?

If I am right, you remove everything in the output, leaving only the voltage drop circuit R659 / R661 and 660/662.

Removing R619 R620 will affect the values you indicate for voltage drop ?

Your advise is highly appreciated,

Regards

Ricardo

Thomo said:
Don't suppose anyone would know what causes a -0.65v reading on my dac's left-channel positive output (pin 18) would they?

The negative output reads ~2v which seems ok.

Right channel is perfect.

It would be nice one day to be able to help someone else rather than just always wanting help myself!

Lee.

Do you measure the voltages with your output stage connected? Sounds like something is pulling the output down. You can also make sure that there is 5V supply on pins 17 and 21.

André

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:
I believe the 2 x 18V, 30VA with good capacitors is more than enough. Good to hear about your sound improvement.

Hi André

I need points to input +-18V from an toroid 30VA I recently bought as you suggested.

If I remove U306 and U307 will I isolate the stock TX and can I use these points to input the new AC ?

I must know this because I can not remove the stock TX.

Regards

Ricardo

Cheers for the advice Andre, but it seems the problem was the dac itself. I have swapped chips and the dac is reading ok now. I have a problem with the output stage on the same channel which was probably caused by the dac going faulty or vice-versa.

I strongly suspect water-damage.

Lee.

RCruz said:

Hi André

I need points to input +-18V from an toroid 30VA I recently bought as you suggested.

If I remove U306 and U307 will I isolate the stock TX and can I use these points to input the new AC ?

I must know this because I can not remove the stock TX.

Regards

Ricardo

I believe U306 and U307 is only fitted to strengten the pads, you will either have to cut the tracks or the pins on the transformer (if you are sure you wont use that winding again).

Thomo said:
Cheers for the advice Andre, but it seems the problem was the dac itself. I have swapped chips and the dac is reading ok now. I have a problem with the output stage on the same channel which was probably caused by the dac going faulty or vice-versa.

I strongly suspect water-damage.

Lee.

That was one of the possibilities but I didn't want to sound negative:D.

André

I've just picked up an old Vanilla CD63 which i'm using as a transport only to my Beresford DAC.

Would i see any benefit in modding this unit if i'm only using the Digital output. I presume that i'd only see a benefit from playing with the Power section and damping the case as much as possible.

Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid and i know it's probably covered in the last 300 odd pages