Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi everyone. I added some proper phono sockets to my CD63 the other day, and whilst it was sort of ok it skipped a lot and then stopped working altogether. After talking to Brent about it we thought it may be the connection from transport to main pcb (ribbon). This ribbon is indeed very loose in both sockets.

There do seem to be sound connections between one side and the other, but there are also perhaps a few pins connected together that shoudln't be!

Pins 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 at the transport end are connected together. I wonder if this is wrong, and is stopping it from working.

edit: I'm just looking at the service manual and these 4 are supposed to be connected together! :xeye:

SimontY said:
6, 9 and 10 of J102 should be connected, according to the service manual. But in mine 7 and 8 are also connected to these. Is it possible 7 & 8 are meant to have low resistance to the other pins? These are 'radial' and 'focus' and on the diagram are connected to inductors. Maybe everything is as it shoud be here...

Are you using a meter to check??

if so, you are reading the low resistance through the radial/focus coils?

Andy

SimontY said:
Ok, waste of time, sorry. The DMM is reading 18-19 ohms between 6/9/10 and 7/8. So it's probably correct. The problem is elsewhere...

The symptom is he can't find/read the disc and makes a little lame noise trying.

Well, it looks about time to try the old 'replace with coax' trick?
Or do you have the luxury of a spare cd-p? :whazzat: ::bawling:

Andy

SimontY said:

Hang on - I don't think the problem is here now, as everything I've checked seems correct. Does it sound to you like the problem is in this area?

I don't have a spare CD53/63/57/67 :(

Back to basics...

With the lid off , power on and no cd..
When you close the cd drawer, does the laser try to focus, about 6 up/down movements.

With cd in, what happens when you close the drawer?

Do you have the 'service mode' instructions?

Does the connector still have it's little clamp mechanism?

Andy

float said:
A question to those who've added separate 5v supplies to the analogue/digital sides of the DAC..

Having looked at the www.acoustica.org.uk site, supplying pin 27 seems easy enough, but I'm not sure how to do the analogue 5v.

If you supply pins 17, 21, 22 and 26 from a single 5v reg, where do you earth it to? The left and right channels have separate earths (joined at the output). Connecting to one or the other may create a loop or compromise channel separation?
Or, do you use a reg per channel, and feed pins 17 and 21 from one and 22, 26 from a second reg?

I'm hoping this mod will aid detail retrieval and transparency, as I've found these areas a bit lacking compared with an Arcam DV29 I've got at home at the moment.

Help much apprieciated:smash:

??? earth loop

U136, 169, 235, 221, 267, 208 are different earths tp the top grd plane
then other links connecting various earth tracks.
main back to audio earth
the only way back to true earth is through neutral, via transformer:rolleyes:

or if the inputs of your preamp or amp is earthed:bawling:

gerenally the path of least resistance.

allan

float said:
Hi Allan,
none of my other kit is 'earthed'.
I'm just trying to avoid contaminating digital and analogue grounds with each other.
I understand that this is important, but I don't understand all the ins and outs of groundplanes and paths, loops and such.
One day:dead:

Any three pin plugs on any of your components? IEC grd earthed?
Amp, preamp not use iec?
no other equipment plugged in? (pc)

if the circiut fluctuates one (1) ohm resistance or impedance (for AC or noise)
electrons will go the path of least resistance
Floating earth (no pun intended):D

allan

ps someone correct me if i'm wrong

update

modded earthing.

IEC plug earth to chassis star point
removed links from U136, 169, 235, 221, 267, 208 to the top grd plane.
run wire from these points to star grd chassis
run wire from U208 and U267 top grd plane to star earth

also from thorston's notes RD01,RD04,R117,R118 and RF01 replaced with 1Mh chokes and ferrite beads.

removed outup mute on rca out only

listen through headphones (unmodded circuit) to pink floyd before and after mods with same beyer DT880's

sound? I can pickout clearly what is bing said in the begining (lead in) in the first sound.
improved detail a lot:D

Everything else in the player is standard cd67 not SE.

waiting on clock, caps etc
will have to try it through the valve headphone amp. (has volume control)

allan

Re: update

awpagan said:
listen through headphones (unmodded circuit) to pink floyd before and after mods with same beyer DT880's

Hi, I'm surprised you can hear any detail whatsoever from that awful awful headphone socket! I found the sound so offensive through my Sennheiser HD 600s that I removed all the components that make it!

Sounds like useful earthing mods though. All I did was add a binding post for earth on my chassis, and jumper some tracks to a star point under a big cap. I don't know if this was wise, but I had to earth it to mains earth because the chassis tingled too much when not connected to the preamp amp, which is earthed to house earth.

Re: Re: update

SimontY said:

Hi, I'm surprised you can hear any detail whatsoever from that awful awful headphone socket! I found the sound so offensive through my Sennheiser HD 600s that I removed all the components that make it!

Sounds like useful earthing mods though. All I did was add a binding post for earth on my chassis, and jumper some tracks to a star point under a big cap. I don't know if this was wise, but I had to earth it to mains earth because the chassis tingled too much when not connected to the preamp amp, which is earthed to house earth.

Yeh, i wasn't overly impressed with the phone socket, also no volume control?

I did give an idea of the sound of the player thought.:)
will definitely remove headphone components

"but I had to earth it to mains earth because the chassis tingled too much when not connected to the preamp amp"
what i said before
your earth point "path of least resistance"

have you got the pcb layout?

allan