Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I have a strange problem, if any of you nice people would like to help.

I have modded a mate's cd67, Superclock 4 & power supply + invisus + a couple of 5v regs for digital and a load of bg's. It sounds awesome, but:

The laser keeps bobbing up and down when the player is in stop mode, it sounds like a vibration and if I put my finger on the lens, it stops. It takes longer than my player to read the toc and change tracks, but other than that it plays perfectly.

Help anyone?

Lee.

jimh0612 said:
Just one more question please Ray.

The link from your site to download the eps format of the clock pcb doesn't seem to work for me.

Don't think it's anything I'm doing as I got the CD outputstage eps fine - opened in Photoshop with no problems at all.

I've nearly finished building it on tripad stripboard from Maplins

Jim

Hi Jim,

Try renaming the file to .eps, it seems when saving it, IE is very stubborn and want to save it as .PS.

Ray

rowemeister said:
LOL Thats a good one

Check around Q107. Could be a low or high ref voltage.

Or a reg you have fitted is oscillating.

Check all grounds to the regs you have fitted.

Brent

Cheers Brent. I've checked all voltages and nothing seems to be bad. I checked all the reg outputs with an analogue multimeter and the needle is rock-solid. The problem only seems to occur when the player has been switched on for an hour or so.

The tx feeding the dig and analog rails gets mighty hot, I think it's overloaded, so I've connected both windings for double the va, and used the spare winding off the clock tx for the dig regs. The tx is not as hot now. Could it have been overheating and causing a bad ac output? It's running now, so I'll let you know my findings.

Lee.

rowemeister said:
I would guess hes running DAC analogue off it. It is also the best place for it

Brent

Bingo.

Whichever tx I connect the 7805's to it gets really hot. Too hot to touch! I've checked the regs and everything seems fine. They're both giving 5.05v.

Does the SuperClock4 need a large tx? The power supply is 4x11dq09, 10,000uF 40v BC, lm317 with zener's, 3300uF 16v on 11.75v output.

The tx feeding the clock is warm but seems perfectly ok.

Lee

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
If you use the digital out, you bypass the internal D/A converter and the analog output and filter. But there are plenty of areas that apply for modifications. A dedicated clock will help absolutely. The digital signal is produced by the decoder, which also runs on the clock signal. The power supply section around the decoder can be upgraded, and the section that supplies the transport, servo and drivers.

Hi Ray

I am tempted to replace C120 and C122 with 2200uF 6.3v Rubycon MCZ bypassed with 3u3Tant + 4700pF Polystyrene.

Will I damage anything ?

I did the same mod in other +5v inputs, around DAC and Decoder and got a lot of definition.

I really would apreciate your comment.

Regards

RCruz said:
Hi Ray

I am tempted to replace C120 and C122 with 2200uF 6.3v Rubycon MCZ bypassed with 3u3Tant + 4700pF Polystyrene.

Will I damage anything ?

I did the same mod in other +5v inputs, around DAC and Decoder and got a lot of definition.

I really would apreciate your comment.

Regards

Nah, I don't think you'll damage anything. Just give it a try and see how it sounds, if you don't like it you can always take it out :)

Ray

Hi Ray

That's not the problem unfortunately.

The file downloads correctly named, saves with the correct extension, opens correctly in Photoshop, but there is no image in the window that opens?!?!? just a blank image area.

Yet the CD outputstage eps image is fine.

Strange

Jim

PS I'm using Firefox.

jimh0612 said:
Hi Ray

That's not the problem unfortunately.

The file downloads correctly named, saves with the correct extension, opens correctly in Photoshop, but there is no image in the window that opens?!?!? just a blank image area.

Yet the CD outputstage eps image is fine.

Strange

Jim

PS I'm using Firefox.

Ok, thanks. I'll check out the file, see what's wrong with it.

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:

Nah, I don't think you'll damage anything. Just give it a try and see how it sounds, if you don't like it you can always take it out :)

Ray

Hi

Can you elucidate me on the real function of the Servo Chip, so I can understand the way this mod can affect the sound ?

As I am mainly following your instructions regarding the mods, sometimes I do not understand why these must be done.

Note:
I am aware of the basic function of the components, I am familiar with valve amp design and construction but am new to the digital technologies.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards