Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

jimh0612 said:
Thomo

A while back you posted this with pics "On the dac and deconder digital 5v rails I have been using 47uF Black Gate PK's, soldered underneath the board with 2mm leads and was very happy with the sound. I have just replaced these with 47uF 6.3v Black Gate Nx Hi-Q's...... WOW!"

I have a CD63KI. Would these same locations work for me? And am I right in thinking they are bypassing other caps on top of the board?

Rgds

Jim

Hi Jim. No they're not bypassing any other caps, I removed cd04, cd07 and replaced cd05 & cd06 with the nx's, as they are then closer to the dac pins. And yes, I have also done this on a CD63KI with similar results.

Simon, I'm glad you like the BG AC's. I know they certainly work well for me.

Lee.

Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

RCruz said:
The only problem I found was when replacing the C505 ceramic by a 2200pF polystyrene the sound became much faster with uge amounts of detail and attack but edgy and proeminent in the highs.
I would like to know if there are alternatives so that I can have this amount of detail but with more bass.

Note:
I am using an external DAC (Sony DTC 670 DAT) and would like to mod its PSU. Can you help me with the schematics ?

Best Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

The lack of bass could be a psychological effect due to the increased level of detail in the mid/highrange. It is possible the edgy sound is only revealed now by changing C505, so the cause is not the cap itself, but the problem lies somewhere else. In your mods list I see you haven't replaced the opamps or filter components yet, you're just getting started! Ergo: keep on tweaking!

WRT the DAC: if you post a schematic, i'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to help. A new thread for this is a good point to start with I think.

Regards,

Ray

Re: BG AC

jimh0612 said:
Hi Simon its me again.

You certainly seem to like the AC's and I wondered where you have used them?

Thomo said:
Simon, I'm glad you like the BG AC's. I know they certainly work well for me.

Hi Jim, Lee

I used the ACs on the output of my preamp. I plan to eventually use a 2nd set in my CD63 output stage, as it absolutely needs DC blocking and I'm using a bit of an unknown quantity (old, 22uF Wima).

I'm surprised neither you - Lee - or Brent has commented on the artificially sweet sound of these caps. They're nice though: a friend was listening last night and found it was "its best ever" but commented on the now excessive bass (e.g. Krall, Knopfler).

Did you find the bass to be somewhat "overly healthy" with these coupling caps Lee?

Simon

Re: Re: BG AC

SimontY said:

Hi Jim, Lee
I'm surprised neither you - Lee - or Brent has commented on the artificially sweet sound of these caps. They're nice though: a friend was listening last night and found it was "its best ever" but commented on the now excessive bass (e.g. Krall, Knopfler).

Did you find the bass to be somewhat "overly healthy" with these coupling caps Lee?

Simon

I like the sweet sound, artificial or not. I seem to have a slightly different philosophy towards the sound of my system than many here. Most people seem to want as transparent, non-coloured sound as possible. As long as there's plenty of detail, I like a nice balance between warmth and separation. As valve-like as possible. Hard to explain really.

As to "overly Healthy bass". I wasn't aware there was any such thing:D
My speakers may have 12" drivers but they're in small cabs (for Tannoy Dual Concentrics) and so I like any extra help I can get here.

Are you sure they're adding bass and not just revealing what was being held back before?

Confused? Me too!:xeye:

Lee.

Dunno what's happening to be honest mate, but it's ok!

Actually my system is all over the place at the moment and my room is a tip as I'm trying to sort out a hum & noise problem I have!

Going to try the headphone out of my cd63 to see how much noise is actually straight out of him.

Simon

edit: it will be interesting getting headphone sound actually
edit2: croc clips on output interconnects :)

Bl00dy ell!!!! Has anyone ever plugged a nice set of headphones directly into the output of their CD63/7???

This is a true revelatory experience for me. I thought I was hearing most of the detail available on CDs through my amps and speakers. Wrong!!! The detail and stereo information is breathtaking. Makes me realise my speakers and amps are covering up so much of what's available here.

Ray - should your output stage be happy driving headphones?

SimontY said:
Bl00dy ell!!!! Has anyone ever plugged a nice set of headphones directly into the output of their CD63/7???

This is a true revelatory experience for me. I thought I was hearing most of the detail available on CDs through my amps and speakers. Wrong!!! The detail and stereo information is breathtaking. Makes me realise my speakers and amps are covering up so much of what's available here.

Oohh...I see a potential head-fier in the making.

ezkcdude said:
Oohh...I see a potential head-fier in the making.

Hehe, maybe. Let's not get too carried away. Whilst this is interesting it also sounds a bit weird (phasey). It's like all the reverb effects are amplified 3x. What's also striking is how vocals are left or right of centre usually but through the speakers this effect is vague.

I do feel like I'm getting a better representation of the DAC's true sound now.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

6h5c said:

The lack of bass could be a psychological effect due to the increased level of detail in the mid/highrange. It is possible the edgy sound is only revealed now by changing C505, so the cause is not the cap itself, but the problem lies somewhere else.

Hi Ray
maybe the problem is in the bypass cap installed below the C504.

If I remove the 3u3 bypass do you believe this could level the mid/highrange ?

Regarding the Sony DAT I relly can not find any schematics... I Will start a new case with this.

Regards

Ricardo

Simon

Re "Bl***y ell! etc"

No but I do listen from my amp which is a modified PM66KI a la Brent (well almost like his without the huge output caps, second huge transformer and beefy output transistors).

Grado SR125's.

You are absolutely right, the detail etc is stunning and it makes it easier to assess the impact of each mod.

Seems a pity to lose so much of that through speakers.

Must admit I've tried the headphone output and it nearly blew my ears off until I reduced the volume using the remote. I read that attenuating the output digitally like that reduced detail and resolution so I haven't done any extended listening direct from the CDP.

Have you compared quality from the CDP 'phone output vs from your amp?

PS

Any chance of any replies or advice to regs questions in my post#7737 please??

I use one of these rather than the digital control. Only four billy goats from Mappos.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When I used the original analogue stage with HDAMs the RCA sounded much better than the h/p output.

People who still have the HDAM in their players (but bypassed) could do worse than use it for phones. If you cut the track that goes from the output to one of the input pair (inverting input) and bridge it with a resistor (Rf) and connect another from this point to ground (Ri) you can give it some gain too if you want (Gain=Rf/Ri).

Since adding the Zapfilter - which has normal and inverted outputs to facilitate balanced outputs - I connected the normal ones to the RCAs and the inverted ones to the h/p out jack. I don't care about the phase inversion - it just sounds tremendous. Much better than when I plug the phones into the 66KI.

Re: Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

SimontY said:

Nah, I don't think so. It's a single-ended output, and not capable of delivering much current. But you won't destroy it if you connect a low-impedance load like a headphone to it, maybe it's worth a try?

Originally posted by RCruz
Hi Ray
maybe the problem is in the bypass cap installed below the C504.

If I remove the 3u3 bypass do you believe this could level the mid/highrange ?

Regarding the Sony DAT I relly can not find any schematics... I Will start a new case with this.

Regards

Ricardo

Not likely, but you can try it of course. But the 3u3 should be ok there. Actually I wouldn't call it a problem as you do; as I suggested earlier, I think you should first focus on the other sections of the player.

Regards,

Ray

Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

jimh0612 said:
Seems a pity to lose so much of that through speakers.

Must admit I've tried the headphone output and it nearly blew my ears off until I reduced the volume using the remote.

Have you compared quality from the CDP 'phone output vs from your amp?

Yes it's a pity to lose some through "ordinary" speakers.

The output from Ray's stage is just right for headphones - full volume is "loud" but not very loud.

I sadly don't have any headphone sockets yet. I don't listen through 'phones often, but I'd like to sort something out.

6h5c said:
Nah, I don't think so. It's a single-ended output, and not capable of delivering much current. But you won't destroy it if you connect a low-impedance load like a headphone to it, maybe it's worth a try?

Ok, well it was interesting for a short test. Vocals were extremely quiet sounding and it was a bit weird but there was loads of detail! Perhaps the "weird" part was the sound of the output not enjoying the experience.

In future I'll put provisions for driving headphones into my preamp.

Thanks
Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

6h5c said:

Not likely, but you can try it of course. But the 3u3 should be ok there. Actually I wouldn't call it a problem as you do; as I suggested earlier, I think you should first focus on the other sections of the player.
Hi Ray

Actually I am focusing in the digital section only because I am using an external DAC (the Sony gives a lot more definition and soundstage than the analog section of the CD53).

Can you suggest some upgrades in the coaxial output lines ?
Canging CT01 (0.1uF) to something bigger ould help ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

RCruz said:

Hi Ray

Actually I am focusing in the digital section only because I am using an external DAC (the Sony gives a lot more definition and soundstage than the analog section of the CD53).

Can you suggest some upgrades in the coaxial output lines ?
Canging CT01 (0.1uF) to something bigger ould help ?

Regards

Ricardo
Sorry
I meant; Changing CT 01 (0.1uF) to something bigger would help ?

Regards

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz cd 53 mods

SimontY said:
Ok, well it was interesting for a short test. Vocals were extremely quiet sounding and it was a bit weird but there was loads of detail! Perhaps the "weird" part was the sound of the output not enjoying the experience.

In future I'll put provisions for driving headphones into my preamp.

Thanks
Simon

Well, as long as it sounds good, I guess it's ok :D. What impedance are your headphones?

Regards,

Ray