Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:

Maybe the only time in my life I can correct Ray: voilà ! ;)
My question of the evening, is there any change/improvement that should be applied to the Flea parts list to match better our CDP, or is it already perfect? (yes, I've got it! Thanks the kind Martin!)
Here I go for my Flea, its PSU, 3 regs (+/-12V from Audiocom, 5V from... don't know, Tent Labs or Audiocom... any advice? The separate 5V will be for a later upgrade), and the coax mod. Any help for the choice of Tent Shunt or Audiocom will be nice (for the 5V as it can save shipping if bought with the XO).

Thanks!

Yes, you're right ;)
Apologies, my last french lesson was about 20 years ago...

Concerning the Flea: i'm not very happy with tantalum capacitors. Nowadays electrolytics are available that have lower ESR and they are much cheaper. In the last one I built I used a BG N series at the output (C9) and a ZA at the input (C1). The rest of the components are fine I guess. Maybe if you want you can use Holco's for the resistors :D.

Regards,

Ray

I have not fitted the Audiocom Superclock 3 yet as I tried a Superclock 2b on the servo. The gains are better than the divide by 2 circuit. The divide circuit is of course much cheaper.
The dedicated clock improved further on the micro details the divide circuit gave, on Diana Kralls - Stop this world @ 2:18 there is distortion in the treble. This detail could not be heard before!!! Eric Clapton Unplugged has benefited the most with finer details appearing more forward and life like, bass resonance has also improved. I will keep this clock on here now and look forward to fitting the SC3 on the dac tomorrow.

Brent

Hi there..

Well I have cleaned up my 63 a bit today. Mainly cosmetics

I've newer liked my implementation of the servo reclock (it was ugly, looked like a GPS antenna :rolleyes: ). More important, the 7474 was fed from a Flea (the one which also is feeding the DAC pin 27, clock supply). I was looking at its Vcc with my o'scope - uggghhh - it was noisy. Then I reverted the servo reclock and the noise was gone. The 7474 was decoupled.

If this is to be done again, it will be done with a separate clock - like Brent's.

avr300 said:
Hi there..

Well I have cleaned up my 63 a bit today. Mainly cosmetics

I've newer liked my implementation of the servo reclock (it was ugly, looked like a GPS antenna :rolleyes: ). More important, the 7474 was fed from a Flea (the one which also is feeding the DAC pin 27, clock supply). I was looking at its Vcc with my o'scope - uggghhh - it was noisy. Then I reverted the servo reclock and the noise was gone. The 7474 was decoupled.

If this is to be done again, it will be done with a separate clock - like Brent's.

I find the 7474 needs its own good low noise reg to get the best out of it. It will impress. But yes the seperate quality clock is superior.

Brent

Alrighty then.

Just received a shipment of various Black Gate Std caps and have installed them in key places. The left overs will be used to make the separate power supplies.

I also ordered a pair of 51ohm Shinkoh resistors which I have connected between the HDAM bypass wires and the outputs.

I turned the player on and it all lit up!!.....as in, it worked, not an Adfinni.

Unfortunately, my wife is watching a recorded show so I can't listen straight away.:bawling: Good opportunity for the amp to warm up though.......................

(Fingers drumming on desk) :xeye:

Simon (Oz)

6h5c said:
Yes, you're right ;)
Apologies, my last french lesson was about 20 years ago...

Concerning the Flea: i'm not very happy with tantalum capacitors. Nowadays electrolytics are available that have lower ESR and they are much cheaper. In the last one I built I used a BG N series at the output (C9) and a ZA at the input (C1). The rest of the components are fine I guess. Maybe if you want you can use Holco's for the resistors :D.

Regards,

Ray

I saw you have apllied flea and kwack clock7 in the different cdp, I will not say what the best but I want to know the 'character' , more and less in the each clock, could you explain ?

Regards

aquar

i'm not very happy with tantalum capacitors. Nowadays electrolytics are available that have lower ESR
Quite true; but low ESR is not always a Good Thing, especially on the output of active regulators. It's often better to have a nice resistive characteristic... that's what I use tants for (esr of 1-2ohm can be quite useful ocasionally). That said - experimentation with other parts is all part of learning stuff/getting the result you want :)

martin clark said:
Quite true; but low ESR is not always a Good Thing, especially on the output of active regulators. It's often better to have a nice resistive characteristic... that's what I use tants for (esr of 1-2ohm can be quite useful ocasionally). That said - experimentation with other parts is all part of learning stuff/getting the result you want :)

Oh guys, now I'm in trouble... ;)

martin clark said:

Malefoda said:
Oh guys, now I'm in trouble... ;)

Yes, i'm afraid he's right Matthieu...
Looks like you're on your own with this one :D
Which one is it going to be? The tant or the ZA????

Ray

(P.S.: I think both will work fine in the Flea)

aquar said:
I saw you have apllied flea and kwack clock7 in the different cdp, I will not say what the best but I want to know the 'character' , more and less in the each clock, could you explain ?

Regards

aquar

Hi Aquar,

The character of both clocks is the same IMHO: better soundstage and spacing, more detail, you know, the usual veils being removed. The difference is in how much you get of all this.

First I used this PCB of mine for a while, with the sort of Kwak-clock Tent-psu combo on it. It gives a lot of improvement over the standard clock in the player and it is very low-cost. You can put it together on a piece of Veroboard in minutes. So it makes a good DIY bang-for-the-buck to start with. You can even use it without the (expensive) comparator and use a 22...47n cap to connect the signal to the DAC instead.

The Flea is more expensive but I find it delivers more musical goods. Well worth it, the difference is clearly audible. It's not an oscillator like the Kwak, but an advanced voltage regulator for the Tentlabs XO-module. The XO is very easy to use and fully canned/screened. I don't know how a 'genuine' Kwak-clock 7 sounds, with the symmetrical TL431 supplies, I never tried it. Probably better than my simple DIY PCB, just like the Flea is also better.

For both clocks goes: a separate PSU improves things even more.

Regards,

Ray