Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

This is strange. I have just removed the transport/laser and replaced it with the one from my test machine. Now when I load a disc it doesn't do anything.

Test mode 2 makes the disc spin out of control.

Mode 3 moves the sled but the laser no longer bobs up and down and the disc spinning slows down but doesn't spin at a constant speed.

Pressing play I now get error 02 - Focus error.

:xeye: :confused: :( :bawling:

Thomo said:
This is strange. I have just removed the transport/laser and replaced it with the one from my test machine. Now when I load a disc it doesn't do anything.

Didn't you cannibalise parts from this previously?

rowemeister said:
With this you get small gains in detail and treble info

I found a less digital sound, with smoother and more relaxed upper notes. I believe this is one of the key mods for making the treble sound less like white noise (along with reclocking the dac and servo).

Simon

Hi.

Don't worry about the cannibalising... I'll charge my mate for the replacement parts :devilr:

- it's his player i'm working on

Call it payback for all the stick I'm getting off him

I have a Superclock II in my KI and had a brief look at the servo reclocking, but i'll have to look that up again. Do you recomend this or adding extra tx's to power 5v regs separately? I think I could only afford one or the other at the moment.

Lee.

I reckon the servo clocking adds detail and refinement. I broke my player doing this mod, so be careful.

Adding a dedicated oversized transformer and psu for the 5v parts of DAC and decoder brought weight and solidity to the sound for me. This is compared to the extra 5v regs being powered from the original tx. Well worth £5 for an Ebay'd tx.

Only trouble is fitting the transformers in. You have two options. 1) as Brent did put small txs in player. 2) as I am doing add bigger transformers (easy but good option) to an external psu box. Of course the regs must still be in the player.

Next step for me is to add another transformer and use one for DAC/decoder digital regs and the other for DAC/decoder analogue regs.

I might use a further transformer just for the servo parts as we know these respond well to improvements. Give me a couple of weeks to dwell on it and get around to it!! ;)

Simon

SimontY said:

It only works if your wiring is neat.

Does this qualify as neat enough? lol.

Attachments

• ki top.jpg
    ki top.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 368
Thomo said:
Does this qualify as neat enough? lol.

Ooh, quality. I especially like the big blue smoothing caps!

I said it needs to be neat because the thing doesn't work if the wire is too long from the divider to the servo clock input. Also it only works with certain coax wire, lol. Brent saying it's easy was giving his view as an expert, not a novice!

I bit blured but you can see the servo clock fitted with its nice regulator + a more moody shot where you can see the coax coming off the clock (also superclock 2).
The other wires are for all digital signals to and from dac / decoder / servo)

You can buy thin 50 or 75 ohm coax by the meter from Farnell.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Brent