Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Gotta love Google:

Attachments

• didyoumean.jpg
    didyoumean.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 314
Hi Kenny,
I've also wired back to a dedicated hifi circuit on my distribution board with shielded mains cable. Highly recommended upgrade if you can do it.
details would be nice.
But, the guys here would probably prefer if you started a new thread or tacked it on the end of an existing appropriate thread.

Fuse types, cable size & type, connections, sockets, ring, star, fannout?

Attenuation debate

Hi Guys,

I'm also using some attenuation, in may case purely to get some useable adjustment in volume. I have the attenuation in the input of the amp rather than in my CD.

Based on the advice here (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyattenuation.xls) the idea seems to be to match the size of the resistors based on the amp impedance. This gives much higher values than those user by Rowemeister (I'm using 10k and 2K2). Is this advice wrong? Is it better to use the lower values?

Regards

Pete

Re: Attenuation debate

Chivvyp said:
Hi Guys,

I'm also using some attenuation, in may case purely to get some useable adjustment in volume. I have the attenuation in the input of the amp rather than in my CD.

Based on the advice here (http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyattenuation.xls) the idea seems to be to match the size of the resistors based on the amp impedance. This gives much higher values than those user by Rowemeister (I'm using 10k and 2K2). Is this advice wrong? Is it better to use the lower values?

Regards

Pete

I've tried both high values and low values and both perform equally well. I used lower values as its at the cdp end for test purposes - it will be ripped out soon and a nice attenuated Kimber cable will be purchased.
I would have thought the amp end is the best end to fit the attenuator.

Brent

ImSparticus said:
I have used attenuation from the output of the cd63, mainly for space considerations, however, how come no one just lowers the output on the remote ?

Is there something im missing here, as i would think that lowering the output was better than introducing anything in the signalpath.

Dennis

Tried that. I find the sound is compressed and lacking spacialness.

Brent

ImSparticus said:
I have used attenuation from the output of the cd63, mainly for space considerations, however, how come no one just lowers the output on the remote ?

Is there something im missing here, as i would think that lowering the output was better than introducing anything in the signalpath.

Dennis

The lowered output on the CD is reset when switched off. If you forget you can get a bit of a wake-up when you first use it again.:xeye:

Pete

That was a lot of replies in a short space of time LOL, well ill bang my attenuators back in tonight and see how it sounds, previously i couldnt tell the difference. I only have the -10dB, ill see if i can get the -14dB. Mine are source end for space behind the player as the amp was a bit cramped.

I havnt tried the attenuators since all my mods and i still have plenty to do.

Dennis

Thanks Brent, thats probably what i seen. I emailed the the Goldenjacks maker, where i did previously purchase, he has made me an excellent offer i cant refuse so will be ordering another set to try at say -12 or -14dB. I need a set on the tuner anyhow.

I popped them back on the cd out earlier and listened away and yes i can tell the difference, just dont know why i didnt before ! Im going for amp end this time tho. Hoprfully ill get some time to do some modding.

re: philips 104

I'd forgotten about these machines... my first intro to CD, when I was given one. Clear but thin as I recall - about 15years ago, when I all I had was a nice tape setup (as a penurious stoodent). And DIY LM1875-based amps with regulated supplies...

I have 1 functional and 1 spare. Really shi... build quality. The mech is outstanding - the rest
Agreed! At least there's a nice heatsink for re-use... ;)