Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

YoungSC said:
I'm looking for someone to hold my hand.

Muting Transistors, is it just a matter of removing QN05-08, QN24/25/91/92 and RN27/28?

I know Ray suggests some extra things relating to grounding etc. Is this necessary, or can I just get away with the above?

Basically QN05...08 are the ones to remove to disable muting on the RCA output, and QN91/92 for the headphone circuit. If you do this both, you can also take out the driver transistors QN24/25 and two resistors that feed the muting lines (RN27/28). If you never use a headphone, you can disable the circuit by removing C901/902 and two wire links that provide +/- 12V to the circuit (U271/272).

By grounding the left-over traces you can lower the amount of interference radiated into the analog circuit. I used 100n ceramics because I use the muting lines to drive a muting relais, but you can use wire links directly to ground if you don't have that.

Regards,

Ray

Malefoda said:
Yes on their sample program. I ordered mine yesterday late night, and they didn't ask for a fee at that time. I ordered 5 DIP package ones, so they should be drop in replacement, and their voltage seems to be OK for a drop in replacement, but i still don't know what the caps on our AD8620 are for and if those new beats need it also.

The caps on the supply lines are for extra decoupling. It could be possible the LM4562 benefits from that too, but that's easy to test by trying them with and without the extra caps.

Ray

6h5c said:
Basically QN05...08 are the ones to remove to disable muting on the RCA output, and QN91/92 for the headphone circuit. If you do this both, you can also take out the driver transistors QN24/25 and two resistors that feed the muting lines (RN27/28). If you never use a headphone, you can disable the circuit by removing C901/902 and two wire links that provide +/- 12V to the circuit (U271/272).

By grounding the left-over traces you can lower the amount of interference radiated into the analog circuit. I used 100n ceramics because I use the muting lines to drive a muting relais, but you can use wire links directly to ground if you don't have that.

Regards,

Ray

Once you get started.... :D

Attachments

• marantz9a.jpg
    marantz9a.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 411
Thankyou Gents,

I shall get into it tonight.

The improvements so far are great. I'm a bit of a song flicker at heart, but last night I found myself captivated listening to song after song and enjoying it all.

I've put building room treatments on hold to do this work, but hopefully in combination with the mods I'll end up with a really satisfying sound.

Simon (from Oz)

YoungSC said:
Thankyou Gents,

I shall get into it tonight.

The improvements so far are great. I'm a bit of a song flicker at heart, but last night I found myself captivated listening to song after song and enjoying it all.

I've put building room treatments on hold to do this work, but hopefully in combination with the mods I'll end up with a really satisfying sound.

Simon (from Oz)

Glad to be of service!
That's what it's all about in the end: enjoying the music!

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
CD 53 SE mods

Dear All

I am doing some mods in my Marantz CD 53 and already removed the muting transistors.

I intend to remove the output caps but just mesaured 25 mv between them and ground.

I think that this value can be too high but I measured it with the CD playing.

Can it hurt my pre amp (Meridian 101) or is it safe to remove the caps.

Best Regards

Ricardo

Re: CD 53 SE mods

RCruz said:
Dear All

I am doing some mods in my Marantz CD 53 and already removed the muting transistors.

I intend to remove the output caps but just mesaured 25 mv between them and ground.

I think that this value can be too high but I measured it with the CD playing.

Can it hurt my pre amp (Meridian 101) or is it safe to remove the caps.

Best Regards

Ricardo

There should be no problem in removing the output caps.

Andy

SimontY said:
"Due to the large demand for LM4562NA samples, we now have to require a small shipping and handling fee."

Fee: $12.24

Bummer! But if it's really good... it could replace the LM6172 in my preamp :D

I've ordered mine ;)

Simon

Yep ! The extra cost is a bit of a nuisence but , hey, under $3 per chip !!!

I received mine yesterday morning. I've just got to find time to try them out!

Andy

poynton said:
Yep ! The extra cost is a bit of a nuisence but , hey, under $3 per chip !!!

I received mine yesterday morning. I've just got to find time to try them out!

Andy

Pls. enlighten us on how they sound, i'm very curious...

poynton said:
Is that a home-made pcb, Ray?

Andy

Yep ! :yes:
Just like the clock-PCB.

Attachments

• cdclock_pcb.jpg
    cdclock_pcb.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 316