Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Forgot to ask...what about Rubycon MBZ 16V 470UF which i have in hand and Panasonic FC 560UF 25V instead of Rubycon ZLH?Are the ones i have any good and in which position.

I have not used MBZ caps before and it seems they are mostly used in computer motherboards. Panasonic FC is GOOD for smoothing the source and can be used for C805-806. ZLH or ZLG can be used in C611-614 for opamps.

marantz cd-63seu analog output not working

Hello,

I have this cd player for a while, one day, when I unplug/replug RCA cable to the analog output, I probably used too much force, now analog outputs (both right/left channel) don't make sounds anymore. But the headphone and digital outputs are making perfect sound.

Can somebody give me an idea what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks

Last night i did copper shielding tape on all chips from top of board with proper grounding and what a suprise...sound become more smoother.I wasn't expect that difference.I haven't done the ribon cables because i read somewhere in this thread that the player won't start.Is it proven that it won't start??And if i do shield the ribon cables what i must pay attention to?

Hey Charas, I can't help but think that your reported changes in sound quality are rather at odds with the level of changes that you are making. I'm a bit suspicious of copper tape yielding big gains. Even big changes from rectifier diodes seems a stretch to me. Do you think you might possibly just have a bad connection somewhere that keeps getting perturbed one way or the other each time you remove the board?

Problem!!!remote control functions don't work.I have check the remote handset with other philips and marantz players and it works.It doesn't work with the 63.What is wrong and what i must look for to fix it?

Charas, have you moved the slider control 'Internal/External' on the back of the player by mistake? Try moving it to the other setting and see what happens.

Hey Charas, I can't help but think that your reported changes in sound quality are rather at odds with the level of changes that you are making. I'm a bit suspicious of copper tape yielding big gains. Even big changes from rectifier diodes seems a stretch to me. Do you think you might possibly just have a bad connection somewhere that keeps getting perturbed one way or the other each time you remove the board?

I fully agreed with you. All of my 8 mods have copper shielding taps on all ICs and I actually could not find any difference in SQ at all. I put them in just for good looking and peace of mind (for my friends) :D

As to the shielding of the ribbon cable it should not be the cause of malfunction of the CDP. I suspect that there are bad contacts between the ribbon cable and its socket. I have shielded the ribbon cables only on two of my 8 mods but with no noticeable improvements at all.

Last edited:
Charas@ I suggest you listen to your music using your CD63 at different time of the day or night and see if you can hear any difference. I suspect the harshness may be due to the noise level in your mains supply. Noise level may vary depending on whether there are factories or machines being used nearby to you. I found washing machines and the energy saving lights generate a lot of noise which will affect your mains supply. I had the same experience before and so now I have used line filters and balanced power supply on all of my CDP, TV and hifi systems. The SQ is now very steady all over the day and night.

Hey Ben,i just check the board and it was a ground leg from a cap under board which has been not soldered well and some times did connect and others don't.I did solder it well now and i did listen again.The copper shielding nade a slight improvement and not big one.The shotky's on the other hand...delivered the same harsh sound....i took them out,put the original ones in,listen,take them out,...and put the sotky's again with the same harsh sound .

Charas@ I suggest you listen to your music using your CD63 at different time of the day or night and see if you can hear any difference. I suspect the harshness may be due to the noise level in your mains supply. Noise level may vary depending on whether there are factories or machines being used nearby to you. I found washing machines and the energy saving lights generate a lot of noise which will affect your mains supply. I had the same experience before and so now I have used line filters and balanced power supply on all of my CDP, TV and hifi systems. The SQ is now very steady all over the day and night.

This is a problem I have been experiencing at home. I notice there is cleaner sound from my equipment late at night.
What do you use to clean up your mains power supply?

Sorry guys i did't see the post's before mine,but i did copy and paste it 1.30 hour ago without refreshing the thread.
Thank you all for suggestions...1 of my friends wrongly place the switc on back for the remote,so ...i was so fool and didn't check this first.
The shielding made a very little if subtle improvement for smoother sound.
I usually do my listening tests during late night in low level and i haven't any noises or interfeering from other sources.

how to remove the board

You probably just cracked the RCA off the board. Take the board out and solder it back on again.

It's pretty simple to remove. No tools required apart from a Phillips screwdriver. Just be careful of the connectors, particularly the ribbon to the display and the thin wires going to the laser.

Ben,
thank you for the reply. I did open the case and took a look. However when I tried to remove the board, I don't know how to disconnect the CD unit from the board.

Can you give me a hint?

Hey Peter, it should be pretty self-explanatory. There are 4 connectors that must be unplugged from the main PCB before it can be removed:

- Ribbon to the display / input panel.
- Ribbon to the transport.
- Two wire connectors to transport.

All of them just unplug from the PCB. Is it one of these in particular that is causing you issues?

I usually do my listening tests during late night in low level and i haven't any noises or interfeering from other sources.
No it is not the noise that you can hear. It is the noise in the mains that pollutes the source and makes the sound harsh. Good shielded power cable can eliminate some external interferences but not from the main power line. The noise during night time is normally much less than in the morning but in certain areas they are still dirty.

Last edited: