Marantz cd5001 Mods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
so what could be done on the pm7200 power supply ?

eveyway, i will wait. the improvements on th cd5001 by changing the output caps and removing the mute circuit is already good. i will change the opamps as soon a i receive my opa2604.

then change the output resistors, and the c420 c421 c422 c423. i dont know by which caps i will made it, but i will...

thanks, i inform you about these tweaks

hello

i don't know opamps on my cd5001. will change for burr brown opa2604 and want to know which type of caps i can put for coupling (instead of th green c420 421 422 423).

the sound of my player has changes a lot. more space and details in the music. probably cause bass disappeared.

i read on a forum that opa2604 had no bass. then it will be worst after ? i will see (hear...) what's the result after 100 hours.

read you later

My friend can source 4.7UF "N" Blackgate locally, and his questions are:

1). Can those six coupling cap (current 10UF, generic electrolyte) be replaced with 4.7UF? Will the bass gonne be suffer?

2). Since this upgrade cost is ~ US$25 locally, does it audible better and worth it?

Thanks.

Thanks Zanash for your comments.

PSU beefing up is what you may be suggesting. Do you happen to have a schematic of this unit? I would appreciate if you would be kind enough to mail me the same at arupg@yahoo.com

Chassis damping and isolation feet are already with me so thats no problem. Actually my NAD C-540 that I'm using as a transport is almost on the blink so am looking at alternatives.

By the way, any other machines you recommend "as a transport" I can use?

Thanks!

hi,
After doing some mod to this set, found that it sound a bit strange ... so hooked it up to a scope and found that there is phase shift after 6.3KHZ... from small shift to 180deg out of phase between Left and Right at 20KHz....
Any comments.....????

Tried to reset the DAC when it is on and the results is the same.... phase shift detected at the output of the DAC itself ... so do not think the down stream components change has affected it... Anybody has similar experience...

Hello Jose,

The CD Pro2LF is an industrial and professional mechanism that only the ultra highend manufacturers implement and charge you thousands of $$$ for it.

The chassis, all fasteners, wiring harness, remote control, metal puck, PCBs with all parts, transformer, display etc are packed and available from :

http://us.hifidiy.net/Article.asp?articleid=207

The cost for this is $ 480. (Look at the build quality of this chassis. You will feel like throwing your CD-5001 in the nearest trash can....)

The Philips CD Pro2LF module ONLY needs to be purchased separately and can be ordered from :

http://www.diy-high-end.com/price/

The cost for this is Euro 230 plus shipping.

Should take a week max to build this. Once ready and hooked up to a high quality DAC, only big smiles will come from you. The low frequency quality is altogether a different ballgame. Its layered and very much like real life.

Any difficulties, let me know.
Cheers!!

Cool! Thanks

Didn´t know about DiyKit.net

Sorry, I have no Marantz yet. Just a Toshiba DVD. That CD-Pro2 kit, with remote and balanced output is really something.

Did you have to tune or do some optical setup on the CD Pro2LF?

It´s very unusual contact diyers fellows from India. I feel happy and surprised for that.

Thanks again for you kind atention.

Jose

Hi Jose

The CD Pro2LF mechanism DOES NOT require a single setting. Its a high precision module, in fact probably Philips's best effort in the optical pickup business.

So its a 'plug n play'...... with a life of around 90,000 to 100,000 hrs. This is not your ordinary transport mechanisms but a serious stuff. The module's price clearly reflects this.Manufacturers using such will ask for starting $5000 upwards for their transports. The Teac VRDS NEO transport is the only better one but thats not available to anyone except themselves, i.e. Esoteric.

Again, as I write this, I am listening to my new transport and must say that if your speakers are capable of digging deep beyond 30Hz in the lows and your listening area is spacious, the textured layered bass that this CD Transport gives is oh, so addictive that you are made to believe you are actually in the performance venue.

For realization of this, one must have top notch downstream gear and then, the fun begins.....

For under $1000, one cannot ask for anymore as this is already stupendous value.....

I'd been in China recently and have visited some of the contracted factories where I've seen some of these consumer CD players we speak off being built. Comparing that to what I DIY made recently, I feel sad for the CD players that I saw were being made as they were very, very mediocre and cheap...... yet one pays good $$$ to buy them in the shops.

Regards
Arup
India

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.