Marantz CD-75 SE Mk2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi hawkstone, the first thing would be just to read through the thread. What test equipment and tools do you have? Are you able to do the kinds of things already suggested in the thread?

Thank you for your response, I have a friend who certainly can carry out this remedial work on the Marantz, he has seen this thread hence the request for any additional information to assist him with the repair.

Hi guys first post ..found this forum looking for info for my CD75 mk2 . I bought this player off the original owner in great condition a few years ago but it wont play and says "error" ..would a cap be likely to be the issue ? Can anyone point to the caps that need replacing or service manual ..Thanks kjs

Hello All,

I appreciate that this is digging up an old thread but I have not found a newer thread that I feel suits the next query. I would like to say Thank you to everyone for sharing the information that is on here. It has been useful to me.

My player is a Marantz CD-75 IITB. It has always worked fine but has suddenly stopped playing discs of any type. Running the player with the top cover off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y5EDPMXwIo&list=PLSCWVBcGi4xmzmTtq40k_fKNDi0ybWTYP&index=7

The LCD screen will show up "error" when the disc stops

I have done the same test but with no disc installed so I could film the laser

https://youtu.be/qX4lTWaFMB4?list=PLSCWVBcGi4xmzmTtq40k_fKNDi0ybWTYP

Using the Dead Laser guide from

Laserology

I personally feel that the laser is alive and well and functions correctly. This is based on the visible beam, the laser eye moving up and down and sideways trying to focus. The disc is spinning as well which to me suggests the laser is detecting a shiny (disc) surface

I have found the following video that appears to show a correct functioning drive. In my mind the disc spins far quicker than my unit but I will jump back to this in a while

https://youtu.be/UsM5ha9qKGs?list=PLSCWVBcGi4xmzmTtq40k_fKNDi0ybWTYP

I have stripped the assembly down and replaced the three Philips Blue Capacitors on the boards. The originals were rated at 47uF and 25V. Three same-spec capacitors have been re-installed. Upon reassembly I checked for dry solder joints and I could not see any issues. The two removed capacitors from under the laser mechanism were at the lower end of their accepted capitance rating. The third capacitor taken from the Toslink board looked slightly iffy and that was below its correct rating (35.2uF to be more exact). After all this, the player still has the same spin up issues as previous. Please may anyone offer any guidance on where to look next. I am fairly confident that the drive is CDM-1 MK2. All other capacitors on the main board look good. I have read elsewhere on this forum and noticed the following comment

"check a 33uf bipolar capacitor on the servo board of the cd mechanism. They have a relatively high failure rate."

Could anyone shed any light on whether there is one of these on this drive (the forum tree I saw it on got confusing as to what drives and lasers etc. were being spoken about). I have also seen suggestions about stripping the motor down to clean it. Does anyone have any suggestions for this please?

I am not against reading forum pages and I have had a search through the forum but I am not certain on my search terms that I need to use.

Thank you in advance

Sorry to double post but I do not think I can edit my above message to include this one. I have disassembled the Brushless motor underneath the spindle. Everything looks brand new and immaculate. I cannot see any bad solder joints. The motort board features two C33740 PH84 transisters (marked T2 & T4), two C327PH70 transisters (marked T1 and T3) and a LM324N Amplifier chip. I am assuming the Transisters T1-T4 drive each of the four windings on the brushless motor coils. On another section of these forums, someone mentioned that these drives have a habit of burning out the transisters and this causes the motor to limp along. Their suggested method to test for this was to try and spin the disc by hand on start-up. If your assistance causes the disc to spin at speed then it is these. However, my motor does not do this and continues to work as the above message videos. With this in mind, I am questioning whether the incoming power is correct. I believe the input voltages are +8V, -8V and Ground.

I have placed the unit into service mode tonight as per the service manual. I cannot advance past selection zero. The search keys allow me to move the laser accross the disc. At this point the movement is all or nothing rather than small steps accross. The disc seems very reluctant to spin and requires a helping hand. Once it is spinning it will keep spinning provided the unit does not attempt to stop it. I have also done a diode test of all transister terminals on the motor PCB and all seem fine. The pot on the board is also correct as well. At this point, I feel like there is either a system power supply issue or something somewhere is not getting enough power to succesfully start something else.

Hi Pullendinbyafish
I did'n notice to pay attention for main power supply?
I am owner of this kind of CD I change all electrolytic. And solve the problem of no-playing.
I pay attention to upgrade main power supply put bigger electrolytic, change voltage regulator with better LM. Practically I applied himself everything from diyaudio forum.
All the best.
Ivo-Cici

Hi Guys,

Just came across this thread and issues regarding Marantz CD75.

I am having similar issues.

1. When powered on, the Led display would show 888 8 88 and none of the buttons would function, the cd tray would not open.

Leaving it on for a while (time depends) would make the display go blank. Powering the player on and off would make the cd player to open tray and function.

Can someone please email me the diagram of the Marantz CD75 as I would like to attempt to repair this player from the information given by the knowledgeable members on this forum.

many thanks guys.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.