• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Marantz 7 preamp inspired clone issues

Hi,

I am building a Chinese kit for a friend, I have no experience with tubes or audio so this is quite challenging to debug.
This is almost the same kit that my friend got

https://www.fyfaudio.com/products/h...amplifier-marantz-m7-circuit?VariantsId=10237

The wiring diagram is not very clear but I managed to understand the connections, it doesn't work, the output volume is very low.

1713321801564.png

I measured all the voltages (top caps and pin 1,6, 3 and 8 of tubes) and are within a 10% range of the values of the schematic above, what would you think is wrong?
it seems that is rated 30W, I am using a 6ohm 10W speakers, audio is very low, doesn't sound distorted to me
Thanks

So you're aware this circuit isnt intended to drive speakers directly? The output from the far right 12AX7 is supposed to go to a power amplifier, then from that device to the speaker. The 30W rating is the power it takes to operate, not the power it can provide into a speaker load. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh boy,

Thanks jjasniew
I heard the story of a Chinese fellow visiting guitar amplifier forums. It was clear he had some learning to do at the time. Today, he has his own line of amplifiers in production, all - apparently - based off what he learned participating on line. I predict you'll be there soon.

I had a real Marantz model 7 when I was a teenager - lost it in a stupid trade in adulthood. I'm sure the one depicted in the above schematic is going to sound pretty good, properly applied as a preamp. Next challenge will be to find a matching (by way of sound) power amp. https://www.thanksbuyer.com/tda7294-2-x100w-current-feedback-audio-power-amplifier-board-27331 Current feedback is supposed to sound more "tubey" and I'm sure the 7 was intended to match up with Marantz's all tube power amplifiers.

May I suggest getting and learning REW. This software can do an oscilloscope display, a frequency response plot and harmonic distortion analysis. The "box" to get the audio signals into the computer might be a little tricky with those signals riding on 150V DC, but it can be done. With this, you should be able to go through that circuit - with the signal input from your phone - point by point and see what's there - or not.

At this point it's anyone's guess as to what could be wrong, as 1.7V in 100mV out doesnt sound quite right. Maybe the 75k got connected to the wrong 1k - there's three of them in the vicinity.

Thank you, I appreciate your response.
I am very comfortable working with higher frequencies, antennas, digital signals etc but audio has never been in my radar before. I have to admit that the first time I turned on the unit I didn't expect to be that hot

Thanks for the REM recommendation, I might be able to use it at work
Cheers!