Many small vs. single large woofer - what gives the greatest dynamics?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like you have really serious bass there! :)

I call it Overture 1812 proof. ;)
They hardly move watching movies at decent levels, sometimes I'm not sure I turned the power amps on. The mains themselves are capable of so much bass, the subs are just an extra but I want something "not compromised".
(you should listen to the two 11 cm tail pipes on my Alfa Romeo 164 Q4 for some serious bass >:) )

Last edited:
I'm using eight 21" woofers ... to me it just sounds better than anything else I've tried. Its not the kind of impressive overwhelming sound that blows you away, but simply right.

A 5" woofer can sound really punchy and fat, provided you get the right compression and distortion... but you may also chose the opposite (low dist. and compression), and that wont sound punchy and fat!

What Brand 21 " drivers are you using ........

how much? i mean how low can they handle at acceptable listening level? what driver is the 8"? where is it crossed? very interesting mains :)

I've got no measurements (yet) but I played the overture loud enough and the woofers had plenty of overhead left during the cannon blasts. Acceptable levels don't even come into the equation :D.

All drivers are Visaton for convenience and because they combine well into their own speaker designs, W 300, W 200 S, TI 100 and G 20 SC's.
(imagine using expensive high-end drivers on this, which is an option)

Crossover points (variable and I change sometimes) at 50, 160/243 and 2300 Hz on the DCX 2496's. The upper and lower 8" have a negative high pass eq so the mains run as a 3.5 way (and without low pass when used without subs).

The back;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It would be difficult for me to believe that speaker would have a proper tonal balance, without a proper x-over ..Dynamic .... yes , tonal balance ... No ...

If you're talking about mine, tonal balance is easily achieved by the adjustable gain on power amps, each output on the DCX's and the eq features on both DCX's and DEQ.
I can make these speakers sound exactly the way I want them. I can even add my DSP 2024P to create any acoustic illusion.
This is the reason I went active on this speaker system, total control. ;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Beyma .. expensive !!! :eek:

I would have liked a lower FS for hi-fi use, anyway with a 15 MM-xmax and such a large surface area .... interesting .
:cool:
Yeah, Fs is a bit high, and Qts a bit low, but its easy to overcome that with a little more EQ.

With this much cone area, the drivers hardly move... the cone area of eight 21-inch equals one hundred 6.5-inch "woofers" !! :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Obvious enough? :D
Max power 4x 2000 watt at 2 ohm per channel (2x Behringer EP4000 in stereo driving 3 woofers in parallel) just for the subs. :D

This is a solution that can work with small spaces like mine :)
Did you measure the response <100hz of the wofoer array? [Edit: just read that you didnt, when you will, let us know :)]

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.