Manninen presents: Steel is Real

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
with tpl on front i lose lots of details, could be even that horn makes sound lot towards box sound, lots of boost and its not getting away hitting the -8db shelf

i could give one chance to nested tpl without horn, before i once again turn room around for longer 3m distance and tpltop

legis´s rock sounds better with horn than it was pillowed naked fst, more controlled and easier to listen

allready thinking how the hell im gonna fit this guido to 4way mordor tower!?

It´s really good to have legis around to give a opinion when i have had listened and tuned days in a row with just one set, own ears start to be accustomed to the sound

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

running quite open top now
setup is more neutral that im used to. I´m getting the point Legis is telling, on some tracks it is OK. not 90% music i´m playing, but hey it is 30seconds job to recall more neutral module

Good way to spent leap year/bissextile year is to bail out this place.

from this to:

this is el cheapo in near same size room (385x585x245 vs. 380x562x256)
and same xo

all concrete heaven.
i think Mordors died cause i cant go under 40hz on short wall and long wall has massive 30hz modal.

i have to demo cheapos whole weekend what to do.
big difference on setup between 2 rooms, just too big.

Have to say these are amazing sounding even without room acoustics done, was watching nature program shortly and soundscape is really central, sound is coming from picture.

Didn´t check cheapos but i did s.harsch XO

Versions of lake software has allways some bugs, beginning to be too tired informing lake about them but i have told couple of them.

seems i cant save harsch xo software. recalling it bugs and i can´t swap modules easily.

i feel that phaselinear XO is better than harsch so no big deal about this bug

Sauron called and seems i have to raise the twin towers.
Twin sealeds gives me nice range down to 10hz but room messed 50-70hz so phasey i don´t have to live with it, now 2016 eq´ing is common but for my hearing it ain´t right, It cant do anything to sidewall bounce and i cant do 150cm thick acoustic. So after few weeks listening tuned sealed i switch to tuned 200€ El cheapos and immediately SON! WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!

Yesterday i did predator mounts to 12" BMS

allready thinking how the hell im gonna fit this guido to 4way mordor tower!?

as you see post #164 30hz modal is massive, yesterdays ob tests showed same peak everywhere potential mic placements.

So my luck is i have those 9" sealeds, i can demo 4bass.
if thin red line distance matches i could do some sunk cost fallacy and do two 862 subs.

allmost talking about legis spec bass level. four 18" with 2.3k could hit 110db @10hz and around 130db @ 60hz

see ya

can´t say 4 bass is my thing, i could need 2 more dsp channels for those.

but cheap test! i kind of moved so i have 2 futon mattres 120x200cm
i rolled a one 2meter high cicar and put it to one corner, did not expect any difference

actually there is some

and put tpl´s back behind horn, need to check tweeter level

tomorrow have to listen both side by side which one to choose

she likes more skinny, see thru mordor, cat´s loves the thingy´s
fst with horn is quite good with tpl, they deliveres more details, better integration

most problem the bass of course, psytrance kick sweepy bass is bad, room can´t handle it.

i don´t know, maybe 2 more 862 sealeds might still be best option TO TRY

tried to tell myself i dont need extension to 10hz and 40hz should be enough, well, most tracks i have theres quite lot information under 40hz. it´s like AC on your car, if you have it once you can´t live without it

Yeah, ob 4 lyfe!

12" BMS can play some 70-75db when cone start to move and theres horrible noise from ventilation, taking dustcap off could to it but 12" with 4" voicecoil it´s 20% cone area lost

365cm room length theres flat to 45hz and everything dies underneath that, theres same amount of boost and gain that sealeds has, it just start to boost earlier.

of course it does not pressurise to 10hz but i still feel/hear the 30´s movies i tried

response from fst is better on every ms i measure but i like it better to be with horn
next i have to try to make room for guido

just like ex apartment low mid have to be near floor and bass up.

steel vibrates but that is over 80db´s thing, i dont max out anymore, not here.
and when 18" on top theres heavyweight other end, 18" cant do anything to that steel plate.

i think AE LO15 or TD15M could be final low mid, but they seems to be 3rd order distortion on top, bms has 2nd

Last edited:

cotton cone 10" goes lower easier, now with s.harsch xo

this one needs +8db more gain more than bms 12"

one funny thing i noticed:
bms 12" 98db gain 24db
fst 94db gain 22db
tpl 102db gain 22db (-4db shelf)

must be still the quido doing something to fst when keeping up same amp gain with 4db difference.

51e687381b.jpg

got BMS 6CN160 to demo just for fun.

listening now as 4 sub again.
if just i had some 15" i could cross sealed 18" @40hz that could be it.
Of course i could hit two more 862´s but those boxes are bit too large for me for now, but sure cats would love them.

^yeah thats gone in the wind. wasnt fast enough and got only 2pc those deltalites

second order gradients which i tried wasnt my thing so now back to more basics.
an wooden OB frame with two 15", purple thing is damping material, so sides, top and back is damped, has any one tried this?

my midrange was mounted to pillow and it was really good.

but yeah, kind of final here with these beyma, b&w and bms SEALED BOX speakers, found quite good spot to my couch on short wall and 30hz modal aint bad.

manninen, It might be time to turn into a SLOB....Slot-Loaded-Open-Baffle

You have acquired enough big woofers to stack into a tall line array SLOB. Small footprint with large room dynamics. Put posters on the side panels.:)

Reviews are very positive...few owners clean up after they become a SLOB.

Slob aint gonna be small with bms 862, but lets see where £ goes.
Allways kind of interested precision devices 24" but that would be foolish.
Even 15" deltalite give more accurate kick versus 18" bms so to slob i would stack 15" delta or even some 12"

And other thing is i havent much liked woofers near floor, 50% room height seems work to me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.