Making your own transformers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering if anyone has ever tried winding their own transformers out of Radio Shack transformers such as Sanders suggests.

I am a lowly engineering student looking to complete a set of ESL's at low cost. This being my first attempt at such a task, I am not too concerned with great quality. Mediocre would be great the first time around!!

Any suggestions (particularily on transformers)?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
My experience from making E/S headphones is that the hard bit is making the diaphragm and insulating spacers so that the charge actually ends up all over the diaphragm rather than quietly leaking away somewhere. My point is that the problem with electrostatic loudspeakers is not getting mediocre versius superb sound quality - it's getting them working at all! If you had a push-pull valve amplifier, you could connect the loudspeakers to the primaries of the output transformers. Try hunting for an old push-pull amplifier.

Sander's instructions will work.

They don't need to be any particular brand of transformers as long as you have a pair and the core material is M6 or (better) "Permalloy".

You can often simply take a standard tube output transformer and make it work fine. Sanders used to sell xfmrs that are/were essentially that. You do need to note the requisite step up turns ratio for your speakers that will match the step down *impedance* ratio of the output transformers. You'll be running them in reverse, of course.

But, yes you can wind your own, if you have time, take care and have some basic materials and a little knowledge.

Moray, that's incredibly cheap for the Acoustat's!
Every once in a while there is a bargain on ePay.

_-_-bear :Pawprint:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.