Making the Nelson pass crossovers warmer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You might try checking over his article on the modifications he made and the results, maybe that could lead you to changes you might prefer? Maybe you have already seen this, there was some reference on Lansing Heritage.

JBL L300 Modification by Nelson Pass

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf

Apparently, the "flip book" has been lost on the first link. Still some good comment.

Russellc

Last edited:
G'day Russell,

Yes - That's what I did. I made the crossovers based on that article and since installing them have noticed a much better soundstage, with voices coming from between the speakers instead of from them (if you get my drift! :-0) however there's something going on in the lower mid regiin that has them sounding a little 'cold'... IE; not 'warm' haha.

I'm going to try adding zobel networkd to the woofer and midrange horn, and if that doesn't give the result I'm after, I'll disconnect the 22uf filter cap in the low range network and see if the resulting broadening curve fixes the problem.

Fun fun

Thanks for the reply
Paulytwo

You might try checking over his article on the modifications he made and the results, maybe that could lead you to changes you might prefer? Maybe you have already seen this, there was some reference on Lansing Heritage.

JBL L300 Modification by Nelson Pass

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_l300.pdf

Apparently, the "flip book" has been lost on the first link. Still some good comment.

Russellc

I know what you mean! I too have the same problem. I find its clear and all but the mid bass isn't right too cold.. If I go analogue it fixes it but still should be adressed.
What I am using is the nelson pass passive for mid and 077 tweeter and an electronic crossover for the 136a for sub. M6 electronic crossover is a tdm sledgehammer 24cx-2 which is a 24db slope I believe and I cross it at 1200hz which is what I am supposed to do I guess??? right? but......the nelson I believe is a 12db slope. Is that a problem for me?? do I need a new electronic crossover?

Oh my Nelson is that really you?? Oh wow the legend!.
I have to say I love your products and I always wanted to meet you! I have a preamp from you the pass labs aleph L. I use the second output straight to my amp and then to the Nelson pass l300 crossover. JUST FOR THE HIGHS
YES MY CROSSOVER IS ADJUSTABLE I SET IT AT 1200HZ but I feel like there's something not right in the mid bass. I don't use my electronic crossover for the highs as I was told it would become 36db octave.
I'm no expert but don't think I should be doing this.

Attachments

• 20181025_230054.jpg
    20181025_230054.jpg
    953.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
schematic

so here is a quick diagram. I also have 2 tweeters one for ambiance(back fireing) I just need to make sure if its 800hz or 1200hz. I know 800hz is stock but I think 1200hz is what I am supposed to use so the sub blends in with the passive mids/highs better. Or....should I just set it half way at 1050hz?
Im pretty sure I just need a 12db active xo which mine cant do :ashamed:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-51-12[629].jpg
    Screenshot_2018-10-26-16-51-12[629].jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 113
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.