Making RCA line level cables with balanced conductor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah I am making a few cables for my turntable, headphone amplifier, etc. Simple RCA to RCA for line level use. I have a good amount of quality balanced audio cable around that I would like to use. It has two 26AWG conductors inside a standard copper shield. I was wondering the proper/best way is to wire these up. An obvious way would be to connect both internal conductors as the "tip" of the RCA plug and then simply use the shield as the "sleeve" connection of the RCA. I feel like I read about a better way to do it where you use one conductor as the “tip” and one conductor as the “sleeve”, and then connect the shield to the sleeve at one end only. I'm wondering what purpose this serves and if I'm remembering it correctly. Any suggestions appreciated it!

Last edited:
Joined 2011
use both internal conductors as the "tip" of the RCA plug and the shield as the "sleeve" connection
of the RCA. I feel like I read about a better way to do it where you use one conductor as the tip and
one conductor as the sleeve, and then connect the shield to the sleeve at one end only. it!

I would suggest making up one pair in each configuration, and try them out. The pair with the shield
connected at only one end should have that end at the source. A shield works best when only one
connection is made to it, so current cannot flow in the shield, which creates voltage differentials.
A shield should be an equipotential surcface.

I feel like I read about a better way to do it where you use one conductor as the tip and one conductor as the sleeve, and then connect the shield to the sleeve at one end only. I'm wondering what purpose this serves and if I'm remembering it correctly. Any suggestions appreciated it!
To delve into all the options you may find this thread interesting, lots of good links and discussion Cable shield as a Faraday cage

For a turntable to phono preamp connection you can use a pseudo-balanced cable: inners for signal and return, shield grounded at preamp end.

For all other unbalanced connections it is important that the signal return has low impedance, so use the two inners for the signal and the shield for return. This will not be as good at rejecting interference as a proper coaxial cable but it will probably be good enough for most purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.