• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Making component choices (6V6/EL84 PP)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are folks here that swear by SS rectification, and others that swear at it.

There are lots of opinions here as to which sounds better, but I don't have one because all of my amps use SS rectification.

Do a search, you'll find lots of opinions. If you choose SS rectification, you'll drop less volts, and you can use very inexpensive diodes or splurge and use FREDs for like $1-2/ea. SS rectification yields an "instant on" B+ which may lead to cathode stripping of your tubes but many folks here don't consider that an issue for B+'s less than say 1KV. This can be another heated discussion on the forum. Tube rectification gives a soft start B+ which is a little easier on the tubes.

FRED's are soft recovery diodes, producing less switching spike noise than conventional SS diodes so in my opinion are worth it, but I'm still a newbie.

The best approach IMHO is to get yourself familiar with PSUDII and develop/model either a SS or tube rectified PS that has low ripple, no ringing, and the desired B+. If you want to use tube rectification, PSDUII will steer you clear of using too much capacitance for your chosen rectifier tube.

I'll second what Chris said about the 5U4. In my limited experience I prefer the 5AR4 for its slow start and lower voltage drop. I guess I might consider using a 5U4 if I needed a lot of current, say more than 200 mA or so.

Solid state rectifiers are cheap and easy to implement. Maybe consider throwing in a couple CL90 or CL80 inrush limiter devices to help soften the startup a bit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.