Making a usb cable _ data only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah the original 100mA was rather low... Like you say many things now should have external power, but cost is quite often a major factor, in all computer peripheral and related products, so often design compromises are made whilst still trying to keep to spec and avoid EMC issues.

Found this Max with 20 awg power cables instead of the more common 24 awg

USB Revision 2.0 Compliant Bulk Cable - 20 AWG Power Conductors

10mOhm/ft instead of 25mOms/ft

Then they are not USB compliant...
well-duh-tell-us-something-new-sherlock.jpg.png

Or the devices you are using either take to much current and should be powered externally or they take to much inrush current so they again are NOT designed to be powered by a standard USB interface, either way something is not to USB sepcs, or are you just pushing the cable thing...
FFS, the pocket hard drive works correctly on any PC when using the inbuilt captive short cable with male USB Type A plug.
I have M-F extension cables....some allow correct HD initialisation and operation, other extension cables do not allow initialisation and therefore no operation.
The fault is evidently because of excessive voltage drop in the power/ground conductors, ie FA copper.

So does anybody know of a source of properly compliant USB 1.0/2.0 actual cable please ?.

Dan.

View attachment 562020

FFS, the pocket hard drive works correctly on any PC when using the inbuilt captive short cable with male USB Type A plug.
I have M-F extension cables....some allow correct HD initialisation and operation, other extension cables do not allow initialisation and therefore no operation.
The fault is evidently because of excessive voltage drop in the power/ground conductors, ie FA copper.

So does anybody know of a source of properly compliant USB 1.0/2.0 actual cable please ?.

Dan.

Did you miss the link!!!!!

And why would they be different...
It converts the data to light only, so it can be transmitted further...

https://www.corning.com/microsites/coc/ocbc/Documents/CNT-075-AEN.pdf

As I said in post 29, galvanic isolators can worsen measured specs. So why couldn't cables/treatment that reduce noise help improve specs? To me the cable is just a different kind of isolator, whether the goal is to transfer further or not. It also inherently breaks ground loops.

Its does not isolate VBUS or the GND connection please look at the data sheet, it is only data that is transmitted down the optical section of the cable, it has to have VBUS and GND to function... It doesn't break any imagined ground loops.
Further with digital signals you need a decent return path in close proximity to the signal, USB requires this because some of the handshaking is single ended signalling so requires a decent return path or you will actually increase noise.........
Cables don't reduce noise, they can be shielded which reduces noise pick up, but cables themselves do not reduce noise, filters do that..... Cables do attenuate the signals and noise passing down them but this is not actively reducing noise... Russ Andrews got a wrist slap for claiming such a thing....

Last edited:
Couldn't say, here's some circuit notes for the device with eye diagram of the data..
http://www.analog.com/media/en/reference-design-documentation/reference-designs/CN0160.pdf

Somewhere in the back of my mind I do remember something about the power conversion through the devices being a bit noisy, but it was years ago on some project, we had to add a separate tyco PTH power isolator, so maybe it could be that. I am going back years here maybe 12 or so...

You can add a switch on the ground and open it after the initial se0 handshake. This will sometimes remove ground noise at the risk of a voltage buildup from the lack of gnd reference. A 1meg resistor across the switch might avoid the voltage buildup and offer a reduction in noise. It's an easy test.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.