making a phase plug?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Green is from first chart, blue the 2nd one...

Geoff, my job would be easier if you saved those a low Bit gifs.

dave

Attachments

• geoffphaseplugcompare.gif
    geoffphaseplugcompare.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 623
Hi Blair,

The only thing to be concerned about is if the centre pole is vented for cooling purposes. If the back of the magnet assembly has a screen / hole, then it is vented. Then removing the dustcap will reduce the air being pushed past the coil.

If the pole is not vented, the air behind the cap only goes into the magnet structure, not the cabinet. It's better to relieve the cone of that pressure.

I haven't seen a vented mid, but that doesn't they don't exist.

We usually talk about the top end dispersion and clarity. The mids get a lift. Not louder, more detail. Play with some cheap drivers first.

Most of all have fun,
Geoff

Yeah Dave, saves on bandwidth too. Thanks for doing the overlay, makes it easy to see what's happening.

This is the FR of the hotted up 61/2 panasonics. Remember the RS SPL meter takes a dive @18dB/oct above 10K. These are on small OBs 300 wide, 460mm high, with tapered wings. Haven't resolved the dip at 1K.
It's not the plug. Probably small baffle.

Attachments

• fr_pha~1.gif
    fr_pha~1.gif
    31.1 KB · Views: 573
Neither the mids or the bass in the 753's have a vent on them (they are the same driver in fact)

Planet 10.

Have any of your customers done this mod on mission or similar drivers? I would be interested if you have had feedbacK. I have asked advice on a sperate thread here, but the advice from a couple of people is that it is too risky. (especially with 8 drivers to ruin)

I'm a way off this mod, I have some crossover parts to do first. But I would be interested in your opinion while this thread is hot?

Blair

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
justblair said:
Have any of your customers done this mod on mission or similar drivers? I would be interested if you have had feedbacK. I have asked advice on a sperate thread here, but the advice from a couple of people is that it is too risky. (especially with 8 drivers to ruin)

Tell me more about these mission s- or point me to the thread... 8 drivers sounds like 1 midbass + 3 woofers?

Yes, phase plugs are likely feasible. For the woofers it is a pile of felt.

dave

planet10 said:

Tell me more about these mission s- or point me to the thread... 8 drivers sounds like 1 midbass + 3 woofers?

Yes, phase plugs are likely feasible. For the woofers it is a pile of felt.

dave

Mission thread

The arrangement on them is 2 mid + 2 woofers. The first post on the thread has a crossover diagram.

The 753 is a 2.5 way speaker, with four (I think 8') drivers. They are made from a doped paper cone, the pair of mids are in a sealed section of the speaker, the woofers are in a lower ported enclosure. I will search out a picture for you when I get away from work.

I am at my gf's tonight, but I can take any pictures that you might need tomorrow night.

Regards

Blair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.