making a drivers magnet bigger: the fostex fe206e

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been thinking it could be possible to make a drivers magnet bigger by placing another magnet around the existing one and therefore improving (perhaps) its midrange response. This lower the Qt a little bit, give away some LF response. I would use it with the Fostexfe206e on a 250HZ front horn.

If it is worthwhile, then one (I suppose) would have to center it correctly on the existing stucture. Any comments?

Next Project...

I'm going to try this;
I have a pair of old 60's 6" 15 ohm units with a small magnet, and another pair of 8" units which have stuffed cones; they have large magnets, and the centre pole can be removed easily, and the so the magnets will fit over the magnets of the smaller units.
I'm going to bolt the frame of the larger units over the top of the smaller ones to see what effect the increased field has.
This will be an OB project...
Pete McK

If the poles of the magnetic circuit are saturated are at the
gap (this is a very desirable feature) then there is no point
in simply adding more magnet, it will have very limited effect,
even if you could get the magnet inside the magnetic circuit
which generally you can't.

:) sreten.

sreten said:
If the poles of the magnetic circuit are saturated are at the
gap (this is a very desirable feature) then there is no point
in simply adding more magnet, it will have very limited effect,
even if you could get the magnet inside the magnetic circuit
which generally you can't.

:) sreten.

It is possible to get 2 magnet in the circuit but its changes the BL at the top and bottom of the travel only, magnets are the most expensive part of a transducers, It is true, once the Yoke is fully saurated there is no point in adding more magnets, unless you believe it that it reduces Barkhaussen noise, if anything the magnet will suffer less reverse field modulation, but honestly i think its a fools game in general, as most speakers have fully saturated magnetic yokes, Magnets like neodymium have such a strong field they can work without a pole yoke plate, but are even better with them!

I don't see any statement that they modify the drivers themselves. there is a model with a stacked magnet, but from what they say it could well come from the factory that way.

Hi Variac, that may well be, but I’ve never used or seen the 8545 with a stacked magnet configuration. It says that these drivers were developed specifically to North Creek's specifications, so I'm guessing these modifications were done buy the driver manufacture. Sorry I just assumed this modification was done by them, it’s not really an issue anyway.

Hesky

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I agree it's not a big issue, BUT I do think the factory might have a better understanding of the ramafications of glueing on a magnet. Looking at them, I would have assumed that they are bucking magnets to eliminate video interference on CRTs. but I guess not.

The interesting pont is that you know these models, and confirm that they don't normally have the extra magnet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.