Making a beast of an amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're not much safer, and they sound very bad. A worthless expense of components IMHO. And you have to be good at pcb design and production... not an easy way.

I can suggest you a link, but I suggest you to avoid them like hell.
http://www.sound.westhost.com/project27.htm

Do not try to build a SS amp thinking it would be safer: there's lot of mains wiring to do. And even a small electrolytic can explode in your face if not placed correctly.

The best solution is to learn how to resolve problem, not to avoid them. There's lot of help on the net, to verify your work. And when you're done (it's not so difficult) you will be rewarded with more knowledge and a good tube sound.

Avoid SS amps, please, at least for guitar...

Yes! Do it. But I suggest that you order everything, for 2 reasons:

1) resistors and capacitors cost so little when compared to other things you need (transformers, tubes, chassis...)
2) it's better to start with fresh components, so you won't have too short leads, dirty and oxidized, and maybe old worn out capacitors...

Good luck! Have you got some amp you have in mind? Some schematics?

sbattersby 115 said:
I was wondering if you know anywhere that shows how to build solid state amps because these would be cheaper and safer wouldn't they?

With all due respect to Giame, I think you have been offered sketchy advice and you should think hard about what you want to do. To say that building a high voltage tube amp is no safer than building a low voltage SS amp is irresponsible and if this statement were made in a higher bandwidth forum than this, Tubes for instance, somebody would have jumped all over it.

sbattersby, if you are neophyte to electronics and have legitimate concerns about building high voltage circuits, then think carefully about what you want to attempt as your first project. You do need to take extra precautions with tube circuits. The danger is not so much if a capacitor explodes as Giame says but if you come into contact with a charged capacitor. The difference in stored energy between the charged capacitors of a tube circuit and those of an SS circuit are huge and special precautions must be taken. I am not trying to convince you not to build a tube amp as your first project, but merely to be sure you have thought it through and are aware of the type of things you will have to worry about.

leadbelly said:

With all due respect to Giame, I think you have been offered sketchy advice and you should think hard about what you want to do. To say that building a high voltage tube amp is no safer than building a low voltage SS amp is irresponsible and if this statement were made in a higher bandwidth forum than this, Tubes for instance, somebody would have jumped all over it.

sbattersby, if you are neophyte to electronics and have legitimate concerns about building high voltage circuits, then think carefully about what you want to attempt as your first project. You do need to take extra precautions with tube circuits. The danger is not so much if a capacitor explodes as Giame says but if you come into contact with a charged capacitor. The difference in stored energy between the charged capacitors of a tube circuit and those of an SS circuit are huge and special precautions must be taken. I am not trying to convince you not to build a tube amp as your first project, but merely to be sure you have thought it through and are aware of the type of things you will have to worry about.

Yes you're absolutely right!!! Sorry for being so careless about safety... I just meant that when you do mains wiring, tube or SS is the same! You're right, a SS capacitor won't kill you as tube ones... But if a person reads a lot about safety when working in tube amps (as I suggested him to do if I remeber right), for a first time builder a tube amp isn't difficult to make, given the great support that one can have on the net, by those wonderful guys over here...

And I have done that... built myself a SS guitar amp and after only a week I donated it to some other guitarist... that was very ugly sounding... a big useless throw of money. Now I'm looking to make a tube guitar amp. Yeah!!!

sbattersby 115 said:
So I'll be fine so long as I don't touch any components is that right?

:D Yes you're right! But when troubleshooting, in the case your amp doesn't work right, you'll have to touch components, sometimes even with the amp on. While these are limited cases, you should in every case take the precaution of discharging the caps before working on the amp, and use a wooden pick in the case you need to move around some wires or something (to cure an oscillation, for example). And when you're taking measures inside it with your DMM, keep an hand in your pocket and do everything with the other hand, with the other multimeter's tip fixed to its point with an alligator clip.

There are many other safety practices, just read a lot of them on the net and you're done...

But let's talk of better things. Have you got a schematics in mind??

I was thinking of using the beginner amp on ax84.com since they tell you what to do and what all you need. On their components list I'm not sure exactly what thy are talking about. I couldn't really find resistors etc with those values on any electronics wbsites. I suppose I just need to look a bit harder.

sbattersby 115 said:
I was thinking of using the beginner amp on ax84.com since they tell you what to do and what all you need. On their components list I'm not sure exactly what thy are talking about. I couldn't really find resistors etc with those values on any electronics wbsites. I suppose I just need to look a bit harder.

Then go for it! These amps are easy, cheap and sound good!

If you have problems with parts, just ask here!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.